ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS ALS and Mental Health

• ALS and Mental Health

Posted by Amanda on January 20, 2021 at 7:00 am

“The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) estimates that 16.2 million U.S. adults had at least one major depressive episode in 2016. This represents 6.7 percent of the U.S. adult population. Depression is most common in ages 18 to 25 (10.9 percent) and in individuals belonging to two or more races (10.5 percent).”

“Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older, or 18.1% of the population every year. Anxiety disorders are highly treatable, yet only 36.9% of those suffering receive treatment.”

With percentages like above there is no doubt that many of our community members were suffering from depression or anxiety prior to their ALS diagnoses. I would suspect that many or most of us have experienced depression and anxiety when ALS entered into our lives. It is essential to take care of your mental health. Have you talked to your doctor about anxiety and or depression? Were you prescribed medication or was counseling suggested? Does it help? What do you do to try and manage anxiety and depression?

Cindy replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathy stitz

January 21, 2021 at 8:24 am

I already had depression for several years prior to my ALS diagnosis.   When I was diagnosed with ALS I stopped taking all of my medications because I didn’t feel like making the effort anymore.  I go to a counselor and that is helpful. I try to keep busy so I’m not focused on the depression. Sometimes you don’t really know how you are still able to go on.  You have to have a lot of resilience, strength, and courage.  These are qualities that can help you in the toughest times of your life.

• Cindy

January 21, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Lots of anxiety and depression around me but never me. Until now. 5 years in a d I just want it over. I have a counselor and take anti anxiety meds. Never took more than a multi vitamin before ALS.