• Posted by Dagmar on May 18, 2020 at 8:00 pm

ALS and Technology webinar, to be held on May 20th at 5:00 pm PST, and sponsored by EverythingALS.org. The webinar will feature a guest panel from TeamGleason and Google (Project Euphonia) will discuss their current and future projects for ALS.

Panelists include:

• Bob MacDonald, Technical Program Manager at Google who is currently is working on a voice project that helps people with neurological issues impeding speech communication called Project Euphonia.
    • Julie Cattiau, Product Manager at Google AI. In her current role, she focuses on building technologies that can help people with speech conditions to communicate more easily through improved speech recognition.
    • Blair Casey, Assistant Executive Director at Team Gleason. But he is also known as the “Manny” from his role as Steve’s primary caregiver as reflected in the film ‘Gleason. Blair was not only instrumental in moving Steve forward but continues to push Team Gleason and the advancement of assistive technology.

This free webinar is live on Zoom. To register and receive the link, go to: https://www.everythingals.org/events

The webinar will be recorded and made available on the EverythingALS.org YouTube channel. 

Update: link to webinar recording – – https://youtu.be/l-kKErtH0JY

Dagmar replied 3 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dagmar

May 20, 2020 at 11:53 am

FYI – – “Project Euphonia” is where Google is teaching AI devices to understand those of us with speaking issues, or what I call the “ALS voice.” The premise is – – it’s just another accent!

• Dagmar

May 21, 2020 at 12:24 pm

I watched the webinar last night and found it to be very informative. (I’ll pot the link to the recording here, once it’s available).

I learned about how “machine learning” works, and what it takes to teach AI devices to understand ALS voices. And they do need more volunteers to do recordings to have more voices to learn from. They need more women’s voices too. (I am enrolled and find it easy to record 30 sentences every morning. Plus, doing this helps me practice “conversing.”)

The other presentation was on voice banking and eye-gaze technology.