ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS COVID-19 and correlation with ALS symptoms

• COVID-19 and correlation with ALS symptoms

Posted by Nick Sloan on August 16, 2020 at 12:04 pm

Just curious if anyone has read or heard of any correlation with ALS symptoms and those who’ve been exposed to COVID.

Leonard M Bozza replied 1 week ago 33 Members · 53 Replies
  • 53 Replies
  • Dagmar

August 16, 2020 at 3:52 pm

I haven’t heard of this yet… but we are so mired in COVID prevention & treatment arguments, that I don’t think anyone is yet looking at a correlation between these two diseases.

• Sylvia

January 23, 2024 at 2:44 pm

I spoke with our Mayo Clinic Neurologist about this. As soo as I said “Covid Vaccine” he shook his head yes and said there may be something in the vaccine that accelerates onset. If the vaccine didn’t do it it could have been a broken arm or something else. He has definitely studied it. My husband had symptoms almost immediately following the vax.

• Paula Patriarca

January 31, 2024 at 8:11 pm

Sylvia,

The same here. My husband and I were hiking long distances and exercising regularly before May of 2021. We both got Covid in November of 2020. In March of 2021, we received the Covid Vaccine, Pfizer. After the vaccines, my husband’s symptoms started. There is no doubt in my mind that Covid and the Covid Vaccine played a role in activating this disease. More needs to be done to investigate this connection as it may help in finding the cure.

• Kim Russell

July 18, 2023 at 12:31 pm

Hello! I’m new here. My name is Kim Russell and for a while I truly thought Covid had given me long lasting problems. I had it in Dec of 21. A few days after I quit running fever and tested negative I wound up having these episodes that were kind of like seizures.  I stayed 4 days in the hospital starting Christmas Eve while they ran all sorts of tests and couldn’t find anything. Anyway, after all that I never seemed to recover my energy and was talking different and walking much slower.  When I didn’t fully recover I saw my PCP and she ordered a nerve study which showed damage in my legs, back and arms. She referred me to a neurologist and it was there that the doctor asked us to think back before Covid, was there anything that happened that we might have excused as getting older, being out of shape. Sure enough back in 20 I started having trouble taking lids off of jars. By the time we moved in June 21 I was of little help moving boxes. I would pack them but not pick them up. That made us think Covid didn’t cause my problems. In September of 22 I received the ALS diagnosis. While I know Covid didn’t cause it I firmly believe it accelerated the disease.

• Dagmar

July 18, 2023 at 12:33 pm

Kim, your doctor was correct in asking you to think back further than your covid episode. I’m glad you got the help you needed.

• luisdiazm83

January 31, 2024 at 9:35 am

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Please let me tell you my personal experience. I’m 40 yo Mexican. At January 2021 I was running 5-10 km per day as usual, but at the end of the month I got sick with COVID-19 (there were no vaccines at that time yet). In March 1st I noticed fasciculations and weakness in my left arm. After several analysis I was diagnosed officially with ALS at May 31th 2021. Of course I know it’s impossible to establish scientifically the effect of the COVID in my ALS, but my intuition tells me that the COVID caused a inflammation process in my Central Nervous System and then it generated the ALS.

My neurologist searched at that time in a big data base and he did not find any other case of COVID-ALS reported, but it was 3 years ago.

I think this could be a clue for the researches about how the inflammatory process works, maybe.

Sorry for my bad English. Have a great day,

Luis D

• Kim Russell

July 18, 2023 at 2:02 pm

Hello! I’m new here. My name is Kim Russell and for a while I truly thought Covid had given me long lasting problems. I had it in Dec of 21. A few days after I quit running fever and tested negative I wound up having these episodes that were kind of like seizures.  I stayed 4 days in the hospital starting Christmas Eve while they ran all sorts of tests and couldn’t find anything. Anyway, after all that I never seemed to recover my energy and was talking different and walking much slower.  When I didn’t fully recover I saw my PCP and she ordered a nerve study which showed damage in my legs, back and arms. She referred me to a neurologist and it was there that the doctor asked us to think back before Covid, was there anything that happened that we might have excused as getting older, being out of shape. Sure enough back in 20 I started having trouble taking lids off of jars. By the time we moved in June 21 I was of little help moving boxes. I would pack them but not pick them up. That made us think Covid didn’t cause my problems. In September of 22 I received the ALS diagnosis. While I know Covid didn’t cause it I firmly believe it accelerated the disease.

• Bill

July 18, 2023 at 3:41 pm

The World Health Organization has released that there is a correlation with multiple sclerosis and vaccine and some people.

With that I think it’s only a small jump to realize that the vaccine may have triggered some people with ALS. Although at the time they’re only saying multiple sclerosis.

• Dagmar

July 18, 2023 at 4:12 pm

Bill, I read through the study you mentioned and the conclusions were:

“…this study showed that there were significant correlations between the following risk factors and developing MS post-COVID-19 vaccinations: Pfizer vaccine, low serum level of vitamin D, positive EBNA1-IgG, and family history of MS.”

So, the correlation was the brand of vaccine, low vitamin D, and having a family history of MS.

I think we have to be careful of making those “small jumps” of assumptions that the covid vaccine triggers ALS and look deeper into the patient’s health history.

• Bill

July 18, 2023 at 10:03 pm

I did not read the study. I was shocked that there was a correlation with the shot and MS.  Also with heart issues as well. Unfortunately this is the world we live in.  Could there be a correlation to ALS or Parkinson’s or other neurologic issues? I think yes.

I got the jab willingly and happily knowing there are risks. I don’t think it was the cause for us. Honestly I think it was a combination of factors such as industrial toxins.

• Howard D

July 26, 2023 at 8:33 am

Dagmar,

I actually think that the study has each of them as separate corrections (i.e., they are all independent risk factors) rather than having them all combined into one risk factor.

In the text of the article (not the conclusions) it mentions the correlation for each factor separately, and that they are each independent factors:

“This study showed that there were significant correlations between the following risk factors and developing MS post-COVID-19 vaccination using univariate and multivariate logistic regression analysis: Pfizer vaccine (P value 0.040), low serum level of vitamin D (P value 0.015), Positive EBNA1-IgG (P value 0.027), and family history of MS (P value 0.043). These risk factors can be used as significant independent predictors for developing MS post-COVID-19 vaccinations (Table ​<span class=”figpopup-sensitive-area”>(Table3</span> and Figure ​<span class=”figpopup-sensitive-area”>Figure1</span>).”

So, the statistically significant correlations were with the brand of vaccine, low vitamin D, and having a family history of MS.  But they were all independent, so each of them were risk factors by themselves, not when all combined together (which was not discussed in the analysis).  And, surprising to me, the family history of MS was the one with the highest P value. (Lower P values are better for rejecting the null hypothesis.)

But I do agree with you that we have to be careful of making those “small jumps” of assumptions that the covid vaccine triggers ALS and look deeper into each patient’s health history.

• Amanda

July 26, 2023 at 11:26 pm

Nice explanation Howard!

• Henry Feinberg

July 20, 2023 at 2:29 pm

Hey Guys,

This topic continues to come to the forefront. I am 80 years old and was diagnosed with ALS in December of 2022.

I am convinced the Covid vaccine ( Moderna) has triggered my condition. While perhaps coincidental,  my symptoms developed shortly after my second shot and intensified after my first booster.

This  is not intended to be a political statement but strictly my point of view.

Respectfully,
    Henry

• Bill

July 20, 2023 at 4:44 pm

They are linking adverse effects with the jab. I’m not ruling it out.

MS is a known adverse effects including heart issues among others.

Time will tell

• Dagmar

July 26, 2023 at 12:29 pm

Bill, please check out Howard’s excellent response located above.

• Lois Hildahl

August 4, 2023 at 8:47 am

My history is very much like Henry’s. I first noticed speech problems after receiving the first two Covid vaccinations (Moderna) in the summer of 2021. (I never had Covid). Symptoms slowly progressed to swallowing difficulties and drooling. I attributed these to aging (I am 77). After I got the first booster in December of 2021 the symptoms rapidly progressed, so I sought medical advice. I went through lots of test with various doctors ruling out lots of things but no diagnosis until January2023! I have Bulbar onset ALS. I now have a PEG tube and my speech is not understandable, but my arms and legs work fine. I really think the Covid vaccinations caused or contributed to my ALS. Also I find very little information specific to Bulbar ALS and wonder if that isn’t why they had such a hard time diagnosing my problem. I am impressed with the support of the whole ALS community.
      Lois

• Kim Belden

July 27, 2023 at 2:17 pm

Being exposed to any viral infection can cause post- viral syndrome.  Getting Coved can cause long Covid Syndrome.  There might be  correlation between any vaccine and any disease but correlation is not the same as causation.

Also, since MS is an autoimmune disease but ALS is not, I don’t see any scientific reason to think getting vaccinated would be suspect.

• JohnW

July 27, 2023 at 4:41 pm

Dagmar and Team

Ive had my Als and seizures prior to receiving Pfizer Injections 1 and 2

But what happened after that seems very mysterious.  Approximately 2 years my weight went up 17 pounds in 3 weeks and blood pressure previously was normal Then the top number 200 over 112. I was rushed to the hospital and had to have a pericardial efusion.   Doctors said i was saved by my high blood pressure.  Doctors said  i   would have been dead within 24 to 36 hours.  I am most thankful for my wife is a  nurse and there is a God who allowed me to continue my fight for us

l7

• Amanda

July 28, 2023 at 11:27 am

John, thank you for sharing! That sounds absolutely frightening! Your wife is definitely a blessing. I’m so happy she was there and you received the medical attention you needed.  Your contributions on the forum are greatly appreciated!!

Forum members,

Covid is still such a hot and political topic in our society. We are told to “follow the science” and the other side says it’s all a way to control “us.” At one time I heard that “they” were injecting people with a tracking devices in the vaccines. Heck, I heard all kinds of wild and outrageous claims. At least many claims seemed outrageous to me at that time.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to research, ask questions and have conversations about the vaccine, ALS (anything) and make YOUR choices based on what you believe. Along with that, it is important, no, it is vital to respect one another. I think we do a great job of that on the forums.  It’s perfectly fine to hold a different opinion than anyone else on the forum, even with us moderators!! Just state your opinion, back it up with facts and references (if appropriate) and then you are sharing quality information. That helps us all learn and grow.  I don’t have to agree with everything another person believes to learn from them. Try to keep an open mind, and see things from other points of view.

The other thing that I believe is imperative to understand is, You know your body better than anyone!!  We’ve heard that over and over again!  If you had initial symptoms right after a vaccine, but you do not have scientific evidence that the two incidents are related, there is no way that you cannot consider the possibility that the two events are related. That is human nature.  Could it be coincidence? Well of course it could, but again we would need conclusive evidence to confirm. There have been plenty of times in our (world’s) history that the unthinkable has been done and we, the public, have only found out decades or more afterwards.

So, I applaud this discussion and I look forward to learning more and more from each of you.

Amanda

• Dagmar

July 28, 2023 at 12:22 pm

Thank you Amanda for this excellent explanation.

• Howard D

April 4, 2024 at 7:57 pm

Amanda, I agree with Dagmar–well said.

And now, I know that no one asked me about this, but that won’t stop me from commenting 😉 I also apologize in advance for its length, as well as including some (very, very rough) math.

Correlation between COVID-19 vaccine and ALS? Or causation (or maybe acceleration)? It’s tough to tell, but I believe there may be a way for someone to do so.

Focusing on the US, most people got COVID-19 or a vaccination for it during 2021 / early 2022. In fact, probably more people got COVID than even recognized it at the time. But this also means that almost everyone who got early symptoms in 2021/early 2022 likely also was exposed / vaccinated during that time.

As a result, there could easily be two independent things going on here: (1) getting COVUD / vaccinated, and (2) getting ALS symptoms. And if they are independent of one another, then they are just correlated / coincidental (and not causal).

Fine.

Now, what would things look like if there was causation between the two?

(Now I’m going to get into some math. These are not precise numbers, but rather very rough, estimates. But they should give some indication of what to look for to see signs of causation.)

Now for some numbers. I have seen published estimates that there are between 25,000 and 32,000 people with ALS in the U.S. which is a country of about 333 million people, suggesting that roughly 1 in 10,000 people in the US share our horrible disease.

According to the ALS Association, the mean survival time is 2-5 years, with some people living much longer than that. For the sake of math simplicity, let’s assume 5 years. If we assume 30,000 people with ALS who live a mean of five years after symptom onset, that would suggest roughly 6,000 new cases a year.

Now between March 2021 when (when the vaccine first became available) and the end of March 2022, more than 570 million vaccine doses were given to people in the US.

If there were a causal link between vaccinations and ALS, we should see it as an increase above our ‘normal’ 6k / year baseline. The question is: how much of an increase would we see?

If a vaccination had a 1 in 100,000 chance of causing ALS, we would see an extra 5,700 cases caused by those vaccinations (although they may take a year or two or three to be diagnosed). If it’s 1 in a million, we would see roughly 570 additional cases caused by the vaccinations.

Those numbers suggest an increase of between 10% to 100% above my (extremely) rough ‘baseline’ estimated rate of annual ALS cases / diagnoses. (Again, these are very, very rough estimates, but enough to give us a sense of the magnitude of the issue. And also note that even if vaccinations accelerated the onset of ALS, there would be an initial spike as cases are pulled forward, followed by a dip below ’trend’ because those cases were not happening later.)

How could we identify whether this increase has occurred?

There are a number of ways to do so. Looking at the prevalence of the diagnosis would be one way. Or getting info on claims from Medicare / Medicaid / VA / insurance companies would be another.

But one quick & dirty way might be to look at the case loads at ALS Clinics. Over the past year or two have they seen their number of new patients increase by 100%? 50%? Or even 10%. Note that there are confounding factors, but such notable increases in patients at ALS Clinics across the country might suggest to some intrepid researcher that there could be some causation here that would be worth looking into.

But the bottom line (from my perspective) is that it is possible that there could be a causal link between COVID-19 vaccinations and ALS cases. But I believe that a causal link would show up in the annual number of new cases, and that if it doesn’t show up there, it’s just coincidence.

But as far as I know, no one has looked into these numbers, so I would definitely not rule out the possibility of causation.

Sorry for going on for so long, and thanks for staying to the end.

• KG

July 29, 2023 at 4:10 pm

Just sharing my husband’s experience too. His respiratory symptoms started shortly after his first Moderna shot. He then started slurring after his second jab. He got the diagnosis a couple of months later.

• Lisa Johns

July 29, 2023 at 4:10 pm

Hello my name is Lisa I was diagnosed with ALS in January 2023 but symptoms started in May 2022 only 11 days after my first Moderna booster
    I know there is still a lot of political views surrounding this topic and I am the least political person but I went from being fully functional at 55 working and active to being in a wheelchair and living with my son a year later
    I do believe there is a correlation

• Clint Williams

August 1, 2023 at 7:44 pm

Hi, I developed moderate dysarthria within 2 weeks after completing the first round of the Moderna Covid vaccine. My ALS diagnosis was offered 5 months later in October 2021. Can’t ignore the timeline, but I continued to get the next 2 boosters as recommended by medical professionals. At this time I’ve decided to stop Covid vaccines and I’m detoxing for metals and other environmental contaminants according to protocols described on healingals.org. Homeopathic doctors associated with Healing ALS say I can detoxify my body of the vaccine. Meanwhile, my bulbar symptoms have continued to worsen, and I’ve tested positive for ATXN2 expansion, a possible genetic factor. I’m taking the 3 Rs, as well as BIIB105, a clinical trial drug from Biogen where I’m presently in the open label stage. All medical professionals say there isn’t enough data to support a connection with the Covid vaccine. Hopefully, I’ll live long enough to rule this out as a cause for my ALS.

• Alan Waite

August 2, 2023 at 8:35 am

Connie, my wife and I received our Covid booster in late September 2021. Shortly thereafter, Connie start to have difficulty with balance, speech, and walking. We visited multiple neurologist between November and late February 2022 without a diagnosis of her condition. After being admitted to a medical center specializing in neurological disorders, was she diagnosed with ALS in March 2022. She passed away 6 weeks later. Our primary care physician hypothesized that the Covid vaccine did not cause the ALS, but may have accelerated its progression. I personally do not believe the vaccine caused her ALS but it may have contributed to it rapid progression.

• Marge

November 14, 2023 at 6:06 pm

Don’t know if this is the right place.

My partner was in the Air Force in Hawaii as a base medic for a short time in the 60s with no active service or chemicals.. in 2022 he had the final Covid booster , the third Moderna, Soon after he started having back and leg aches and balance issues. After many MRIs and neuro tests the neurologist thought it had to be in the neck spinal region.

He had neck surgery and after a month of rehab, he did not get better from the aches etc that resulted in the spinal diagnosis. So more neuros who sent him to a movement clinic who finally this .February diagnosed ALS. The disease progressed very quickly and now he has lost all motor function, can’t eat or speak. His breathing was no longer helped by the Bipap and today he is having a tracheotomy and ventilator to survive. So in about a year he went from being fit to nearly dead. It is well known that Covid and vaccines can result in various illnesses . The reason there is little research seems to be that serious illnesses are so rare, they do not activate statistical notice,

What bothered me was why all service men who served in any capacity, anywhere for more than 90 days were considered disabled from ALS. No questions asked! And got incredible benefits from the VA.

So I thought what affects all service people that could cause the VA to give benefits to all service people regardless of their type of service or location? The one common thing is multiple and various vaccinations. I was feeling that is possible, as a friend told me her 23 year old Marne husband thirty years ago got als after a series of vaccinations before deployment to Guam. He was a strong young marine with no health issues. He never made it to Guam due to the als onset. He lasted five years..

So I am not saying Covid or vaccines cause als, but they could be a trigger for susceptible individuals?

Just my thoughts.

• MMc

January 17, 2024 at 1:03 pm

My symptoms started the week after I received the Covid Vaccine. This is not about politics and I do not know what part the vaccine played but I do know the timing.

• Deelight

January 18, 2024 at 2:31 pm

My conclusion is that the vaccine caused my bulbar als to activate. Too many people to be just a coincidence.

• Paula Patriarca

March 22, 2024 at 7:04 am

I agree that there are too many people for this to be a coincidence. More needs to be done to study this link whether it caused it or activated it is unknown until it is further studied. However, we are all proof that there is some type of link. Currently, there are so many neurologists and scientists studying ALS. I am hopeful that we will be the first generation to survive this disease. My thoughts and prayers are with all of those individuals that are working so hard to help us defeat this.

• brian

January 18, 2024 at 5:17 pm

from my holistic doctor: covid vax negatively impacts GPX4.

this prevents selenium from doing it’s job.

Also pumps a dangerous amount of aluminum into the body.

• KICO

January 18, 2024 at 10:02 pm

<font style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><font style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>buenas noches, en mi caso es similar, posterior a que me dio el covid, inicie con los síntomas, ante de ello no presentaba ningún problema. también considero que el COVID acelero la enfermedad, </font></font>

• Dagmar

January 19, 2024 at 3:51 pm

Bman64 – – your statement about aluminum in vaccines is misinformation!

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) writes that aluminum, a naturally occurring metal also present in nature, has been used safely in vaccines for decades. Aluminum salts act as vaccine adjuvants, or ingredients used to help stimulate a stronger immune response in the body. The CDC says, “adjuvanted vaccines can cause more local reactions (such as redness, swelling, and pain at the injection site) and more systemic reactions (such as fever, chills and body aches) than non-adjuvanted vaccines.” It also notes, however, that “in all cases, vaccines containing adjuvants are tested for safety and effectiveness in clinical trials before they are licensed for use in the United States, and they are continuously monitored by CDC and FDA once they are approved.”

• FRANCES GOODMAN

January 21, 2024 at 12:44 pm

Yes, my brother came down with his first ALS symptoms 2 months after having COVID for the second time. He had been vaccinated. This was May 2022. He was diagnosed with ALS March, 2023 after being misdiagnosed. He passed Jan. 4, 2024. I’ve noticed that there is a realization that long term COVID can turn into ALS in a small number of cases. Plus, it’s recognized that people came down with Guillaume-Barre syndrome after getting COVID. It’s taken a long time to recognize this. When COVID first arrived there was no warning or awareness that it could affect people neurologically. In my brother’s case, one could argue it was just coincidence. It seems like we will never know the answer.

• Dagmar

January 22, 2024 at 10:42 am

Having the vaccine doesn’t prevent COVID, it only helps to make having it less severe.

• Alan Larrivee

January 23, 2024 at 2:45 pm

ALS is a bum deal. Everyone wants to blame someone or something for it. It’s just luck of the draw.

• brian

January 23, 2024 at 2:53 pm

First, if you read my response, you’ll see that I specifically state this is information from my holistic doctor, not my opinion. Next, I think it’s absurd to believe anything from our government – especially the CDC.

There’s a lot of articles on aluminum and ALS. check out this pub med doc: “<b style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>Motor neuron degeneration due to aluminum deposition in the spinal cord: a light microscopical study”

Finally, I’d strongly suggest doing a heavy metal detox if you’ve got a covid vax

• BartBaker

January 24, 2024 at 11:22 am

Do you have a protocol that you recommend for heavy metal detox ?

• Sylvia

April 9, 2024 at 9:52 pm

I’m interested in your protocol as well please.

• Optimist

March 26, 2024 at 2:25 pm

What is a holistic doctor?

• Sylvia

April 9, 2024 at 9:52 pm

Holistic Drs treat the mind as well physical and emotional person.

• Sylvia

April 9, 2024 at 9:46 pm

I agree. I don’t trust CDC or big pharma.

• Reese

January 23, 2024 at 6:13 pm

My speech problem started right after my 2 Pfizer shots and the booster in early 2021. I’m grateful for this post, to read the accounts, I always thought this vaccine was the match that lit the fuse.

• BartBaker

January 24, 2024 at 11:18 am

Yes – my dad got it 1 week after his booster – 3 doctors have confirmed the vaccine was what caused it. There is no doubt in my mind that the mRNA vaccine is what causes it. I know 10 other people who got it right after the vax also. The vaccine is poison. We are actively detoxing everyday from metals / toxins / etc – absolutely horrible

• Shandy

January 25, 2024 at 3:08 am

Hi all,

I’m a 66 year old female, (previously in good health,) who was diagnosed with COVID 01/11/2023. Three weeks later, on Feb. 1, 2023, I developed Dropped Head Syndrome and ALS. I was officially diagnosed with ALS in May, 2023. My neck and shoulders are affected and in much pain. By the grace of God, my speech is not affected, nor my arms or legs. I’m one year in. My soul grieves the body I once had only a short time ago. I cried more tears in 2023 than all prior years added together. I have experienced much anguish, despair, and bewilderment at this blight upon my life. Never saw it coming. There is absolutely no doubt that COVID ushered this into my body. I previously had two COVID shots, March and April of 2021 (Pfizer.) Didn’t get the booster. I thank God every day for what is going right. I ask God continually for healing and reversal of diagnosis. I don’t know if it will happen in this lifetime or eternity, but I know it will happen. I pray for all of you and your sufferings. I want everyone to hold on to HOPE. I take Riluzole 50 mg and Radicava ORS. I refuse to drink the horrid tasting 8 oz of Relyvrio. I pray God rescues each and everyone of us from this heartbreaking disease and I won’t give up asking for mine (and your) miracle. With much lovingkindness ❤️

• Amanda

January 25, 2024 at 7:29 am

Hi Shandy,

Everything you are feeling and experiencing is normal for someone in our shoes. It sounds like you have a great attitude, and that will help you maintain positive mental health. Having ALS or any rare or chronic disease is stressful, and that is a huge understatement. I encourage anyone with ALS to talk to a counselor or mental health professional. It does not have to be an ongoing practice, but for some just talking to a professional who is not connected personally to you, is helpful. It gives a person a chance to let out things they otherwise keep in, ask the impossible to answer questions, cry, grieve and accept what is happening in our lives. You can talk to someone face to face or online these days. It can be weekly, monthly or occasionally – whatever works best for that person!

Now to tackle the COVID-ALS correlation – honestly, that’s too complicated to address completely and adequately here. I will continue to ask that each of our members keep in mind that each case of ALS is different and unique. We do not have all the information on this topic and much of the research out there on this topic is suspect. It is often written about 1 case and lacks significant data, a problem for all rare diseases and research data. We also no that there are numerous hypothesis to what causes ALS, and likely there are numerous kinds of ALS with different causes. Continue to do your own research and reading. Share your ideas here of course!! Encourage each other to research! Verify that the research and the writer are credible. What are their credentials? Does the science make sense?

I could continue with a long list regarding research, but most of you have heard this before 🙂

• Richard L Wheeler

January 29, 2024 at 12:12 pm

AMEN sister

• Janet Neckyfarow

January 28, 2024 at 5:54 pm

I always believed that my ALS trigger was my second cataract operation in November of 2021. My first symptoms right after that were weakness in my left hand and I had been given a very bad IV in my thumb joint, right on the bone for that surgery. I also started losing my singing voice around then and by Christmas I was slurring words and having trouble swallowing pills.<div>

Going back to check records, I had my third COVID shot on October 16th.. perhaps another trigger.

I was diagnosed with bulbar onset ALS in October of 2022. I had another booster in 2022 and I had COVID this past August. And yet, I have an appointment for another booster next Wednesday. Having COVID wasn’t fun. And getting those giant pills in the feeding tube was a real hassle. So, despite everything, I believe in the science and will continue to receive vaccinations. I had my flu shot right on time and only held off on the RSV shot this year because it was brand new.

Having ALS is no picnic. I can’t speak, eat, or drink and my left hand and arm are useless. But I am still mobile and fairly self-sufficient. Getting sick and ending up in the hospital will cause a much faster progression of the disease, in my opinion, so I will continue to take care of my health as well as I can. This is my conclusion for ME because I have always tolerated vaccines fairly well and it certainly beats the alternative.

Very interesting discussion. At some point in the future, hopefully there will be some definitive answers on this subject!

</div>

• Dagmar

January 29, 2024 at 11:28 am

Bravo Janet! Do continue to take care of your health as best you can. I am sorry you had so many ALS symptom challenges so quickly…. but do continue to adapt and find a way to continue being “you.” I send you happy hugs across the miles. Dagmar

• Hal

February 2, 2024 at 1:26 pm

Given ALS affects us all differently it isn’t hard to speculate that something might compromise one’s immune system to the point that motor neurons get attacked. This might be caused by a disease, a vaccine, a pesticide, a TBI…. Who knows…

• Richard L Wheeler

January 29, 2024 at 12:21 pm

ALS existed long before COVID. I was diagnosed officially almost a year ago. I think it began in 2021. Never got COVID or the “vaccines” so no correlation for me at least. The DNA testing shows <em xmlns:mrws=”http://webservices.ovid.com/mrws/1.0″>C9ORF72 is my trigger for ALS.

• James

March 20, 2024 at 1:58 pm

I was diagnosed with ALS in July 2022 after my second jab. As you know 90% of ALS patients are veterans as am I. I asked my VA doctors about any connections between jabs and disease and have been told “NO”.

I still STRONGLY BELIEVE there is a connection and even if I had undiagnosed ALS the jab accelerated it. I went downhill after the jab and while still ambulatory and exercising I’m very weak.

How many other Veterans think the same?

Jim

• Hal

March 22, 2024 at 9:50 am

Thanks for your service James. While I’m not an anti-vaccer, I am a strong believer that ALS is related to changes to an individuals immune system and am quite perplexed that more discussion is not focused on that. If one’s immune system is responsible for balancing your internal system then changes to your immune system could have both positive and negative effect. Much of the treatment we hear about is focused on addressing high levels of proteins, amino acids etc. that appears to exist in PALS. Perhaps those elements surface when one’s immune system is compromised. Given Vaccines work by “adjusting” one’s immune system by introducing levels of antigens, is it not feasible to think that some peoples system can have an adverse reaction? Keep in mind, the shingles vaccine has proven to cause GBS. Just wondering why there isn’t more discussion around one’s immune system?

Page 1 of 2