ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS Covid on the Rise, again

• Dagmar

November 15, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Right now I don’t have any medical appointments coming up… but, the general rise in cases is continuing to worry me.

So many people have let their guard down and are acting like “it’s over” or “it won’t affect me.” Such disregard for the percent of the population that is immuno-compromised or vulnerable. All we ask for the next several months is that they wear a mask when going out and about and, limit their social gatherings. We can all have patience and delay or find alternatives for special occasions… nothing is more important to celebrate than celebrating a vaccine being distributed across the country (and world).

Meanwhile, numbers are rising in our town – – I’m dealing with it by following guidelines and limiting my excursions that take me among people.  I hope our forum members are staying safe and staying well.

• duane

November 16, 2020 at 9:38 pm

Many people don’t care, and there is nothing done to make them care about it or the lives of others. That is a major weakness our country.  There is very little self-discipline among the population in general.  Don’t dare confront someone who is not wearing a mask as they may assault or kill you.   I’ve read about numerous instances of that sort.  Just awful.

• Amanda

November 17, 2020 at 7:48 am

Duane, I’ve seen a couple of news stories like that in SW Florida.  It is a shame that some people don’t see the bigger picture or have a sense of community responsibility.  Luckily, the area I live and work in does seem to take the pandemic seriously, at least many people appear to by wearing masks etc.  I sure hope we see some resolution sooner than later. Stay safe!

• kathy-stitz

November 19, 2020 at 10:29 am

I was supposed to have an appointment at my ALS clinic in December but got a call that I can no longer come in person.  The appointment has to be done through Zoom.  I have never even done Zoom before but we had a friend come over and set it up on our computer.  I am concerned because you cannot have a physical examination through Zoom and to me that is an important part of the appointment.  This coronavirus has affected everyone in some way.  It has been very sad and upsetting.  We currently have about 250,000 deaths from coronavirus just in the United States and there will be many more deaths before there is a vaccine available.  I agree that many people are letting their guard down since it has been going on for so long now.  I am not going out places as much as I used to but it is very concerning that we are having a surge again.  Thank you to all of the doctors and medical professionals who are working hard to save lives.  Everyone please take the virus seriously and take precautions to protect yourself and others.

• ann-thomson

November 19, 2020 at 3:54 pm

I am getting worried too. My husband has an ALS clinic appointment in 2 weeks and I am afraid it’s going to get canceled. He hasn’t seen the ALS team in person yet. I pray we make it there ???

• kathy-stitz

November 19, 2020 at 5:19 pm

Hi Ann,

I hope your husband is able to have his appointment! Best wishes.

• Dagmar

November 19, 2020 at 7:07 pm

I feel for all of you who have never yet had an in-person appt. Kathy is right, a Zoom medical visit lacks all the physical exam details. Not to mention the body-language interaction between doctor and patient.

Last July I had a “clinic” visit: turns out it was with only the doctor. She put me through as much of the testing that she could. What was omitted was: pulmonary function, speech, and PT/OT.

I hope more people start following the covid guidelines so the numbers go down – – and we ALS patients can return to the in-person clinics we need.

• Dagmar

February 7, 2021 at 2:58 pm

Last month in January, I had a visit with my doctor – – it sure was different from the July visit I wrote about in the comment section above – – and, a far cry from what ALS Clinics used to be!

Check out what I wrote about the January visit in this column, “Let’s Help Bring Back the ALS Clinics.”

Let’s do everything we can to help bring this pandemic to an end. Get vaccinated. Wear a mask. Follow all the recommended guidelines. Let’s help bring back ALS Clinics because we all want to live well while we live with ALS.