ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics New way identified to track severity and progression of ALS

• fran-finney

February 2, 2021 at 3:23 pm

Interesting abstract. The researchers did find a correlation with ALSFRS  and the amount of white matter degeneration, which could help predict speed of the ALS progression. But the study was very small and relatively brief – 66 PALS and 43 healthy controls over three clinic visits (the abstract did not indicate actual time span.) A much larger and time-extended study might help in being able to use data to predict and pinpoint progression.

• richardhasals

February 2, 2021 at 4:18 pm
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 17, 2021 at 8:27 pm

Saw another article on the corticospinal tract (CST) that explained that other disorders can do this also, so as this is a step forward, it is not a conclusive diagnostic tool. Wish it were, but it does limit the number of possibilities that need to be ruled out. My MRI did show white matter issues in the CST. Waiting now for further development from my Neuro. They are pushing me to start Radicava now as well so this is persuasive. Been through so many tests, I have become numb now.