ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Pain in thighs if sitting in wheelchair for more than 30 minutes

• Pain in thighs if sitting in wheelchair for more than 30 minutes

Posted by Maureen on November 7, 2020 at 7:19 pm

My close friend, diagnosed in May 2018 with ALS,  very recently has begun having pain in his thighs after sitting in his motorized wheelchair for just 30 minutes.  So now he must be transferred to his bed after 30 minutes & with his legs extended he feels some relief.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Could it have something to do with the wheelchair cushion/donut he’s been using for more than a year?  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Maureen replied 3 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • nicole lievano

November 10, 2020 at 8:41 pm

It happened to me, but it hurted while doing any movement with my legs and even while physical therapy. In my case it was because of lymphatic blockage of the legs. After a few days of massages for lymphatic drainage and drinking a tea prepared with soursop peel (cascara de guanabana) and boiling water,  it was gone.

I hope it helps your friend.

• Maureen

November 10, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Thanks Nicole for sharing your experience & treatment.  This is another example of how helpful it is to have these forums! I have passed the info you shared along – much appreciated.

• Duane

November 11, 2020 at 12:07 pm

The seat of my power wheelchair is firm, probably too firm, and I find it to be uncomfortable after a time.  power or manual chair, it is good to stand up with a walker about every hour if you can do so.  I think it may be the seat, unless the person has an underlying physical condition such as a lymphatic issue.  I sit in a manual wheelchair during the day, and use a memory foam/gel infused cushion called ‘Everlasting Comfort’ which I find to be very good, after trying a few types.  It’s on Amazon and costs about US$40.

• Maureen

November 11, 2020 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Duane for the suggestion & link.  (My friend does not have the ability to stand now so he transfers into his bed to relieve the pain.)  I too mentioned to him that perhaps it is the inflatable cushion for the wheelchair that needs replacement.  He is also waiting to hear back from his doctor at the ALS clinic about trying pain medication patches.  Thanks for your input – much appreciated.

• Cindy

November 13, 2020 at 8:08 am

Perhaps repositioning legs/ thighs by putting a pillow underneath them?  I have to reposition often. My power wheelchair can tilt and recline and I can move leg position as well. But those seats aren’t the most comfortable!  Comfort is a relative term now.

• Maureen

November 21, 2020 at 5:09 pm

Cindy,

Somehow I missed this email until today.  Yes, my friend agrees with you “comfort is a relative term now”.  Repositioning seems to be the key – thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.