ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Roberta Flack—> “Killing me Softly” with ALS

• Roberta Flack—> “Killing me Softly” with ALS

Posted by Jan: CA, pals on November 14, 2022 at 10:13 pm

This morning, November 14. 2022… Roberta Flack’s manager announced that Roberta has ALS and it is impossibe for her to sing or use her voice! She didn’t just suddenly stop singing, no doubt there were small, gradual signs along the way, they began to add up until there was slience. Roberta probably was diagnosed and knew she had ALS for some time… just like many of us, she needed time to process and try to accept the facts, before making a public announcement.

Roberta earned a college degree, (major in music: piano and song) plus she was given an honorary Doctorate from Long Island University. Since 1972, because of the gifted treasure of her voice, she received numerous Grammy nominations and awards and has a star on Hollywoods Walk of Fame.

About five years ago, she did have a stroke. February 10th she will celebrate her 86th birthday.

It is my understanding, in early 2023, an American Masters documentary, “Roberta” might be announced along with the 50th anniversary celebration of her recording: Killing Me Softly.
    Lots to look forward to.

Just like the words in her song, we cannot be certain what she is going through…
    some moments in her life she might feel sad, scared, angry… lonely with her thoughts… before she falls asleep, there’s tears, gratitude, regrets, all her feelings and her secrets.

However we may interpert a song or even if any songs lyrics have a special meaning for us… we all know for certain,
    ALS is Killing us Softly.

john hamilton replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Beth Rookey

November 15, 2022 at 2:33 pm

She needs to remember that having ALS does not mean her life is over, you can LIVE with it! It’s a pain in the ass but you can still contribute to life. Yes, you go through the stages of grief every time it takes another thing away from you, but you can get through it.

• john hamilton

November 15, 2022 at 7:00 pm

Just a coincidence, probably, but I (now 81) had a brain bleed about two years ago, then diagnosed with bulbar-onset ALS about a year ago. Could there be a cause-and-effect connection betwen brain bleeds, strokes and ALS—especially with old folks?