ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Round-table Check-in: Join Us for a Short Chat

• Round-table Check-in: Join Us for a Short Chat

Posted by Dagmar on July 14, 2020 at 1:00 am

Oh my! We’re still facing challenges brought on by the pandemic and most likely will continue doing so for some time. I’m feeling the loss of being able to sit down with friends to chat and catch up on the little things in our lives. Even though we do check-ins with each other, social distancing, email, and flat-screen video chats just don’t feel the same. But they’ll have to do for now because connections are important.

So, let’s have a virtual chat in our forum right now! Pull-up a virtual chair and share your answers with us to these four questions:

• How are you feeling?
    • What does your typical day look like during lockdown?
    • Any special projects you’re working on right now?
    • What’s the first thing you want to do when it’s all clear again?

You can read my answers here: “Checking In on My Life With ALS During Lockdown”

I look forward to “chatting” with you – – in the comments section below!

Dagmar replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Suzanne Akerman

July 14, 2020 at 5:06 pm

Hello Dagmar,

I feel very energetic on sunny warm days; most of those days at least. We have air conditioned rooms for a retreat.

Lockdown began shortly after my ALS diagnosis. Our typical day has not changed greatly as we live a rural area, on a dusty road, and we don’t travel if we don’t have to. I do have an a 79-year old friend who lives in town, and she doesn’t want to visit during the lockdown. I miss seeing her.

No projects by my hands yet, but I have many waiting. My husband has to do the gardening. I will have to crawl over uneven soil to be of any help.

When this lockdown is over I will make a visit date with my 79-year-old friend. If not sooner.

• Dagmar

July 14, 2020 at 5:24 pm

Thank you for “pulling up a chair” Suzanne 🙂

What kind of garden do you and your husband have? Flowers, vegetables, or both?

• Suzanne Akerman

July 14, 2020 at 5:36 pm

Both. My husband is caring for most of what I used to do for the past 30 years.

Big flower beds fill the front yard for me to enjoy.

I was exhausted caring for gardens and their output every summer. Now that I cannot, this summer and last summer have been a relief for me. I can simply enjoy.

• Dagmar

July 14, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Garden fresh vegetables are always tasty. I remember from living in Iowa that around this time in the summer, the tomato and zucchini plants are producing… also, not a good time to leave your car unlocked – – otherwise, you’ll return to find an anonymous “gift” of a bag full of zucchinis 🙂 🙂

The 100+ degree temperatures here in Arizona, keep tomato plants from even blooming.