ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Strategies used to dealing with an ALS diagnoses

• Strategies used to dealing with an ALS diagnoses

Posted by Amanda on January 8, 2021 at 6:29 am

When a person is diagnosed with a terminal illness such as ALS, everything changes in an instant.  There are many unknowns such as: How much time do I have? How do I prepare myself? How do I prepare my loved ones? What do I say?  How do I do this on my own terms? Basically, in a moment everything changes! pALS and caregivers may immediately “take inventory” and change their priorities. They may go on that dream vacation they have been putting off while they are healthy enough to enjoy it! They may choose to spend time with family and friends. They may need control of things in their life that they can control. Regardless, there is a process that each person goes through including acceptance and the grieving cycle.  Each person approaches the situation differently using different strategies. Some may use humor and sarcasm, while others may organize and plan everything.  Overall, the key is to face each day with the best attitude that you can and to focus on what is important to you while taking care of your mental and physical health. What strategies do you and your caregiver use?  How have others responded to your approach? What advice can you share with newly diagnosed pALS and their loved ones?

Amanda replied 3 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.