ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Using Traditional and Non-Traditional Medicine; Let’s Start with Basic Terminology

• Using Traditional and Non-Traditional Medicine; Let’s Start with Basic Terminology

Posted by Dagmar on September 19, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Newly diagnosed ALS patients often have to learn new and unfamiliar medical jargon. Besides having to learn how to even spell amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a quick search on the internet produces many approved as well as unproven treatments; all based on differing philosophies and followed by various cultures.

Below are some commonly used medical terms (definitions found on the internet).

Have you used any of these for your ALS? What were your experiences with them? Which types of treatment or areas would you like to learn more about here on our forum?

• Modern medicine: A system in which medical doctors and other healthcare professionals (such as nurses, pharmacists, and therapists) treat symptoms and diseases using drugs, radiation, or surgery. Also called allopathic medicine, biomedicine, conventional medicine, mainstream medicine, western medicine and orthodox medicine.
    • Traditional medicine: Includes medical aspects of traditional knowledge that developed over generations within various societies before the era of modern medicine.
    • Alternative medicine: Any of a range of medical therapies that are not regarded as orthodox by the medical profession, such as herbalism, homeopathy, and acupuncture. Medical therapies used “in place of” or as an alternative to modern medicine.
    • Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM): A medical system that has been used for thousands of years in Asia to prevent, diagnose, and treat disease. TCM includes acupuncture, diet, herbal therapy, meditation, physical exercise, and massage. It is based on balancing the body’s states of yin and yang.
    • Ayurvedic medicine (“Ayurveda” for short): Was developed more than 3,000 years ago in India. It is based on three doshas (fire, water, earth) and identifying which combination the patient has. Treatment is based on balancing these doshas.
    • Integrative medicine: A form of medical therapy that combines practices and treatments from alternative medicine with conventional medicine. Also includes treatment with complimentary therapies; treating a condition with therapies that work together synergistically.
    • Holistic medicine is a form of healing that considers the whole person — body, mind, spirit, and emotions — in the quest for optimal health and wellness. A holistic doctor may use all forms of health care, from conventional medication to alternative therapies, to treat a patient.
    Dagmar replied 4 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Dagmar

September 20, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I guess you could say I follow an Integrative Medicine approach to treating my ALS. I depend on modern medicine for my Riluzole, ALS Clinic visits and annual flu shot. I do yoga and meditate (alternatives) as they are complementary to modern medicine. By focusing on my attitude and emotions I am adding in a Holistic perspective.

What alternative therapies or other therapies are you using? Would you recommend them? How did you find out about them?