ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS ACT Now! ACT Therapy to help cope with an ALS diagnoses

• ACT Now! ACT Therapy to help cope with an ALS diagnoses

Posted by Amanda on December 10, 2020 at 9:00 am

When you have been confronted with an illness like ALS, you world is forever changed. There are no words to describe those first days and weeks. It is understandable that depression and frustrations set in quickly.  Have you heard of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy? (ACT).   “Act focuses on facilitating acceptance of hardship and the resulting emotions, many of which may be deeply painful because burying these feelings can lead to even more distress. After acceptance, you will learn and commit to using new thought patterns and behaviors that will allow you to live according to your values and goals.”

https://alsnewstoday.com/columns/2018/02/12/als-depression-creating-perfect-treatment-plan-part-2/

Have you participated in individual or group counseling to help adjust to your diagnoses?  What was that like? What method was used? How did you learn of the program or services?

Amanda replied 3 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies
  • Marianne Opilla

December 10, 2020 at 3:43 pm

I work with a Reiki Master, meditation and yoga.  My instructors know what I am dealing with and have been very personal with helping me maintain a more positive mindset.  It wasn’t easy…days and days of crying, anger, and hopelessness.  Now I have learned the best thing for me is to live one day at a time and be grateful for that day.  Try not to dwell on what my future might be.