ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS Pandemic Pitfall to Avoid: Compare-despair

• Pandemic Pitfall to Avoid: Compare-despair

Posted by Dagmar on April 21, 2020 at 11:49 am

We all grew up hearing the advice: “Don’t compare yourself to others.” …but we do it anyway! Jobs, houses, cars, our hairstyles, you name it, we compare it – – and often end up make ourselves feel like failures – – I call it “compare-despair.”

Remember those “100 Things to Do During a Pandemic” emails that arrived in our inboxes a while back? Well, a few days ago, I came across one, and while reading it, I felt the symptoms of “compare-despair” welling up in my mind. Seems I haven’t been optimizing my pandemic free-time like I should be doing!

We pALS do it too. We compare symptoms, progression, medication… and often feel that we’re not doing as good as some other pALS.

Shouldn’t we remember that we’re all different from each other? Our ALS is different. And our lives during a pandemic are different from each other too.

I wrote about it in my column this week: Pandemic Pitfalls: Avoiding the Compare-despair Trap.

Are you feeling pressure to do more during this pandemic? What do you think is causing this? Or, do you find yourself comparing your ALS symptom progression with other pALS? What advice can you share that’s helped you with these feelings?

Dagmar replied 4 years, 3 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.