ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ As a caregiver, where do you find your support?

• As a caregiver, where do you find your support?

Posted by Dagmar on October 9, 2019 at 7:00 am

From websites to videos, to books to support groups; there are plenty of ALS-focused resources specifically for caregivers. But not all caregivers feel they need to attend an ALS caregiver support group; and sometimes these groups don’t provide enough help.

If you don’t attend an ALS caregiver support group, where do you find your support, respite and relief? Do you turn to a club, neighbors, a group of friends or other similar groups? What do you recommend for new caregivers?

Dagmar replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • sandi-tomlin-sutker

October 10, 2019 at 9:55 am

Going to lunch with one or more of my close women friends… we can talk about life or we can just laugh and enjoy a good meal. In order to get out of the house my husband has several male friends who are happy to come and hang out with him for a bit. He feels comfortable with them and they can help with his food and other needs for a couple hours. Sometimes the best thing I do is take a nap (taking my phone with me in case…)

• Dagmar

October 10, 2019 at 1:02 pm

That is so good Sandi that you have found a good way (all-around!) for your own support. You are maintaining connection with your friends… and your husband gets to enjoy his friend’s time as well.

This is a simple and good solution that many of our forum caregiving members can consider adopting!