ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics Dr. Bedlack Video: Studying ALS Reversals

• Dr. Bedlack Video: Studying ALS Reversals

Posted by Dagmar on April 27, 2020 at 1:00 am

If you have the time during these days of lockdown and, are looking for something just a little different to ponder; here’s an interesting video. It is Dr. Bedlack explaining his approach to studying ALS reversals.

In the video, Dr. Bedlack covers: how he got involved in studying ALS reversals, his first ALS reversal patient, the definition of a reversal, why it’s worth studying them, his hypotheses about reversals, and his ROAR and STAR programs. Link: https://youtu.be/69XBOw5iPJI

https://youtu.be/69XBOw5iPJI

A few interesting takeaways from the video:

• As of October 2019, Dr. Bedlack has confirmed 43 ALS reversals.
    • EMGs on the reversals showed their motor neurons grew extra branches to the muscle tissue, to help make up for motor neurons that died due to ALS. This is similar to motor neurons in patients who survived polio.
    • The average ALS reversal: 51 yrs., male, had symptoms that progressed fast before the reversal, and certain alternative therapy products were associated with their reversal.

For some, Dr. Bedlack is treading on controversial territory, for others it all makes perfect sense.

What are your thoughts on this topic or about the video?

Dagmar replied 3 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Katherine Hooks

April 29, 2020 at 11:35 am

Thank you Dr. Bedlack. I am 72 years old and was diagnosed with ALS last year. It started with my speech. I am still mobile but get very tired. No one in my family has had this. Please let me know anything else you are doing. I am going to a ALS clinic with Dr. Rivner. Respectively. Katherine Hooks.

• Dagmar

April 29, 2020 at 12:18 pm

Hi Katherine – – Dr. Bedlack’s video about his research is interesting, because he is looking into the non-traditional (or alternative) ALS treatments.

What most ALS patients do, and what has been helping us manage our symptoms is: take prescribed medication (usually Riluzole), moderate exercise with rest periods throughout the day, a healthy diet, quality sleep AND stay mentally engaged with the world/friends/family.

How are you doing during the pandemic and stay-at-home guidelines?