ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Find emotional balance by diversifying your mental focus

• Find emotional balance by diversifying your mental focus

Posted by Dagmar on March 2, 2020 at 6:41 pm

This week I am posting topics of discussion to address our emotional well-being.

One thing pALS have in common is the desire to learn as much as possible about “all things ALS.” But that quest for information can quickly overwhelm us and dominate our minute-by-minute thoughts. We find ourselves in a bubble of never-ending statistics, what ifs and sad stories.

Yes, having ALS brings change to our lives, but we shouldn’t lose or forget the interests, activities and things that brought us joy before ALS. Otherwise, our emotional well-being becomes unbalanced – – and research shows that for pALS, our emotional well-being can have an effect on symptom progression.

What is the solution? Diversify your mental focus.

During the past 10 years that I have been living with ALS, I’ve found it essential to make time in my day to enjoy specific things and activities that are not ALS-related; things that bring me joy. Things like: dancing in my chair to favorite tunes, watching uplifting TED Talks or watering and caring for the various plants that share my work table.

Do you find yourself overloaded with ALS information? How does that affect you? What do you do to help balance your emotional well-being? What works best for you?

Dagmar replied 4 years, 1 month ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.