ALS News Today Forums Forums Flash Briefings A Childhood Lesson That Might Help You With Your ALS Diagnose

• A Childhood Lesson That Might Help You With Your ALS Diagnose

Posted by ALS News Today Moderator on December 12, 2019 at 7:08 am

ALS News Today’s forums moderator, Amanda Sifford, discusses how a childhood lesson helped Dagmar adjust to her ALS diagnoses and play the game of Life with a positive attitude!

Are you interested in learning more about ALS? If so, please visit alsnewstoday.com/

Listen to this flash briefing episode and share your thoughts in the comment section below! Do you have a similar childhood lesson or story? Let us know!

Melissa replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Susan Hoerber

December 13, 2019 at 11:10 am

Excellent analysis of how we handle our diagnosis . My childhood memory is from horseback riding…no matter how hard you get thrown you dust yourself up and get back on the saddle .

• Dagmar

December 17, 2019 at 3:15 pm

That is a good one Susan! Thank you for sharing it 🙂

• Melissa

December 19, 2019 at 11:05 am

I adore this story. I think it was a stroke of genius that your father inserted this “ game-changing” strategy into competitive play. One minute you are “on the top” and perhaps “gloating” ( always annoying) and then suddenly the game board rotates, and “voila”,  you are suddenly confronted with a  a whole new reality and perspective-and how you react is everything. It doesn’t necessarily  build character—but it sure reveals it!  And over time, if you stay in the game, it builds resiliency. All families should play this version of a board game together and also discuss how changing the game board, suddenly,  without warning makes one feel and how it relates to life’s events. The discussion is important and parents need to talk about how they feel too-and share their own strategies for coping and thriving in spite of how “unfair” or “shocking” it is. How does one grieve, regroup, and move on to play another day?