ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS Easing the pandemic restrictions

• Easing the pandemic restrictions

Posted by Amanda on May 30, 2020 at 10:40 am

Many areas have started to ease off the restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic. Many pALS and caregivers were already following some of the CDC recommendations. Most of us did have to start doing some things like wearing a mask. As restrictions are lifted, what CDC recommendations will you continue to follow? Will you wear a mask when you go in to public buildings and stores? Will you remain 6 feet away from others? In what ways has this experience changed you behaviors?

Cindy replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dagmar

June 1, 2020 at 4:53 pm

What a good topic to discuss Amanda!

I am amazed at how many people are treating this phase of the pandemic as if it was a tornado or hurricane that just blew through – – “OK folks, all clear, you can go out now.”

Nothing has changed from the first day the virus appeared. Nothing. We still don’t have a vaccine… and, we still can catch it. To me, all that happened is that we had a nation-wide tutorial/experiential in how to best avoid getting sick: wash your hands, don’t touch your face, wear a face mask and, practice social distancing.

So, I wonder at the thought pattern of those who feel it is a “choice” to mask or not-mask.  When people don’t wear a mask, they’re just increasing the risk for the rest of us – – especially for those of us with pre-existing health conditions like ALS.

Until there is a vaccine available, and I have been vaccinated… I’ll be wearing a mask (and following all the other logical recommendations). I have patience.

• Diana Belland

June 2, 2020 at 10:32 am

I completely agree with you, Dagmar.   I will continue to be very cautious about where I go, and I’ll make sure to wear a mask and practice social distancing.  Some of my friends are venturing out to restaurants but I don’t feel it’s worth taking the risk at this point.  Cases are still increasing in many states.    I may try to meet up with a friend or two in a local park but we’ll be wearing masks and sitting six feet apart and using our cell phones to be heard if we have to…(-:

• Cindy

June 2, 2020 at 2:43 pm

I was about to have outpatient PT when Covid struck and all was postponed. The PT center is opening up again with restrictions and protocols. However, I am not ready to take any chances quite yet. And so I will wait.