ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Fatigue Post Physical Activity

• Fatigue Post Physical Activity

Posted by Nomad on April 18, 2024 at 6:32 pm

First time posting…!

I’m looking for insite as to the exhaustion levels post work out. The level of physical activity is certainly relative to the person, that is understood. But, I can work a low physical day and feel moderately tired. Yet, if my day consists of a work out (no where near like that of the past) the exhaustion leads into the next day, or two. This exhaustion includes mental, physical and incredibly emotional disappointment. The desire to keep physically active is diminishing, causing more mental strain. The fine line is for me to find, diferent for all. Just wanting to discuss this as I’ve learned SO MUCH from this forum already!

Nomad replied 1 week, 1 day ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Dagmar

April 22, 2024 at 5:40 pm

Hello Nomad, You are not alone in discovering that ALS can zap your energy – – mind and body. It takes a real mindset change to “out-finagle” it. But it can be done. I’ve been at it for 14 yrs now.

What I do: no more solid one hour workouts…. break it up into short segments throughout the day. No more traditional strength training (lifting weights)… take joints through their range of motion (circling, etc.), I do combination movements on the floor with my body weight as resistance. Give yourself a recovery day if you’ve done a lot of exercise movements.

I’ve written quite a few posts about how I exercise. Use this link and scroll down to find “Exercise Tips” https://alsandwellness.blogspot.com/2017/09/als-and-wellness-blog-archives.html

I’m happy to discuss this with you further and answer any questions you may have. “Keep Moving!” Dagmar

• tim907

April 23, 2024 at 2:19 pm

I was diagnosed with bulbar onset ALS in December of 2023 and have struggled to find the right balance of exercise vs. fatigue. Is overdoing it with exercise primarily a quality of life issue (i.e. over exercise can lead to the next several days being low energy with high fatigue)? Is there any concern and/or science that shows overexercise speeds up the progression of ALS?

• Gigi

April 23, 2024 at 2:47 pm

My physical therapist gave me a general rule of thumb…if I can’t recover from the physical activity within an hour then I need to change the level of difficulty or the length of time. I, like Dagmar, try to do a more activities within the day for a shorter period of time (20 minutes or so).

• Melody

April 23, 2024 at 3:06 pm

For exercise, I also break it up into small chunks. I take a lovely virtual class on Saturdays with a group of physically challenged women.

Because I still work full time (Rollator assisted always) I walk around the halls.

Yesterday my physical therapist worked me out for an hour, so today I let myself recover a little, especially because I’m up early for work.

• Sandy

April 23, 2024 at 9:23 pm

Hello Nomad,

Everyone’s disease process is different. My husband, who had an aggressive form of ALS (18 months from first symptom til death) was advised not to do any strenuous work out. Possibly get an opinion from your neurologist. Some good feedback already here from others.

• Nomad

April 26, 2024 at 9:01 am

The days of feeling good after any slightly strenuous physical workout are over. Dwindling away at best without calling on the muscle to grow.

• Nomad

April 23, 2024 at 11:38 pm

Thank you all for the input, AGAIN the reason I signed on to this forum.

The remarks about working it too hard and needing a day or two for recovery hits home. My work has always been very physically demanding, only 1/2 (many days less) capable now. Used to be very physical/active with the martial arts (40+ years). Now I’m observing class members feeling sorry for me, ugh!

The biggest take away is recognizing that less vigorous, more consistent smaller physical activities with a good recovery time is pertinent. The desire is not to drain the batteries to a point they won’t even slightly charge anymore.