• Dagmar

March 15, 2020 at 8:14 pm

Best thing we did – – –

Bathroom: grab bars, Toto toilet, remove bathtub and install roll-in shower, shower chair on wheels.

We didn’t get advice other that what we researched on the Internet and from the contractor.

All very helpful, works, still helpful 10 years later 🙂

• Mary Jo Peterson

March 17, 2020 at 3:05 pm

We turned my husband’s office on the main floor into an accessible bathroom. Roll in shower, Toto toilet/bidet. Roll up sink. We had help designing it from our niece who happens to be an architect.  Also got advice from my ALS clinic OT/PT who made a home visit. We’re turning our front livingroom into our master bedroom. Adding french doors for privacy.

• Dagmar

October 11, 2020 at 7:59 pm

A few more helpful tips and ideas (with photos) for bathroom modifications – – from my ALS and Wellness Blog

“How I Made My Shower Safer” ?

• Giselle Vargas

October 14, 2020 at 9:31 am

https://images.app.goo.gl/TEJdCzgn5d1uJnEV6
    I wonder if this type of step in bath tub/shower that I have seen recently would be a good idea ? Any thoughts?

• Dagmar

October 14, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Giselle – – your walk-in tub is certainly a safer and more convenient way for those “I love baths” folks. It eliminates having to climb into and sit down in a low tub – – not to mention the extreme effort of getting out again!

The only drawback I see is the “lip” that requires stepping over. Even stepping over small 1-2″ impediments can feel like huge barriers for those of us whose legs don’t lift up easily anymore.

But, this might be a solution for some 🙂

• Susan

October 15, 2020 at 2:38 pm

We are adding an elevator and making bathroom and kitchen more accessible. no step shower.

a nice front porch with ramp and deck too.

• Chuck Kroeger

October 15, 2020 at 3:30 pm

We had to have our modified shower e m try rebuilt so that the shower chair could roll into it. they left too many Little rises that had to be removed  and replaced. now working to replace door hinges so the doors will open wider

• Robert Taylor

October 15, 2020 at 4:31 pm
  • Dennis Fossenier

October 26, 2020 at 11:53 am

We are in the process of trying to decide what modifications to make to a bathroom for me as well as our bedroom.  I am still able to walk with a rollator and I shower using a tub bench which I can still get on and lift my legs over the lip with my hands.  I am procrastinating because I don’t want to destroy our place which is fairly new.  It has a large walk in shower/sauna with lights, radio, etc. in the master bathroom that I hate to tear out since I can’t use it because of the large step up.  In the other bathroom on the main floor is a large one piece tub/shower that I use now but once I am in need of a wheelchair then it would not be useful for me.

Because ALS affects everyone so differently it is hard to know what the future holds.  Do I rip out all the niceties that we have to install a wheelchair accessible shower that I may only be around to use for a year and then leaving the cost of restoring it all to my wife?  Or do I take inspiration from such as you Dagmar and hope for 10 years or more?  Congrats by the way on all you have done to keep moving forward.

• Dagmar

October 26, 2020 at 12:47 pm

Dennis – – we planned for the worst while I set my mind for the best-case-scenario. 😉

As I described in: How I made my shower safer, we modified our tub/shower into a roll-in shower, with a shower chair on wheels. Looking back, I’m happy with what we did and how it’s working. My suggestions are:

For the bathroom: Look at space – turn around space, two-person (one a caregiver)space, and equipment storage space. Allow for wide-open areas. Then, add grab-bars everywhere. They will be good for you now…and helpful later when a caregiver needs to lean in or reach. Toilet: ADA height and bidet-ability. If your home is 2-levels, you may end up living on one floor or the other entirely. Pick that floor and focus on that bathroom.

Bedroom: Make space on your side of the bed to accommodate a rollator, wheelchair or Hoyer lift (plus room for a caregiver to stand). Think about wedge pillows or an elevating bed (to lift up your torso while sleeping). We have the elevating kind – – although I’ve never used it – – since I sleep on my stomach 😉

Asses clothing areas: can you sit and dress yourself? Is everything you need within reach? A sturdy chair with arms too.

Hope all this helps you – – feel free to ask questions!

• tomd

October 27, 2020 at 6:06 pm

One modification I made to my bathroom that I’m glad I made was to install a toilet seat bidet. It’s great when you have weak arms and loss of dexterity in your wrist and hands.

I had to get an electrician to install an outlet next to the toilet and then hire a plumber to install the seat. Well worth it

• Rich DeSpagna

January 27, 2021 at 11:06 am

good afternoon.

I am about to start the process of renovating a bathroom and my biggest concern after all I’ve read is finding a shower chair that can be used with (rolled over) a toilet bidet combo. does anyone know if this is possible?
    <div>thank you!</div>

• Dagmar

January 27, 2021 at 11:19 am

Rich – – In this blog post I wrote, How I Made My Shower Safer, I have a photo of my shower chair… which is high enough and can be rolled over a toilet (although I haven’t used it that way yet). The brand link: http://www.ipu.com/shower_chairs.html

Hope this is of help to you 🙂

• Paul Tavano

January 28, 2021 at 2:30 pm

We redesigned our bathroom to create a roll in shower and toilet. In addition we designed a sink that looks normal but the cabinets can be removed to allow for wheelchair accessibility. I don’t need the modifications yet but are prepared when we do. We will add the beset when needed. I agree that you should plan for the worst and hope for the best.