ALS News Today Forums Forums Boosting Our Voices Awareness and Advocacy pALS continue to make a difference in the fight against ALS

• pALS continue to make a difference in the fight against ALS

Posted by Amanda on November 25, 2019 at 11:05 pm

It seems like most of my life I have been learning and reading about ALS. My grandfather passed from ALS in October of 1981. At that time, little was known about the disease. We had no idea how many family members would be impacted or the contributions we could make in the fight against ALS. The year I moved to New Orleans, Steve Gleason (former Saint and pALS) was diagnosed.  He founded the Team Gleason Foundation and they sponsor annual events to raise awareness, funds, and provide support to pALS. He made a major impact on ALS Awareness in my new home community.  I continue to be inspired by the people who cross my path with ALS. Dagmar and our members inspire me every day. I search for  pALS that make a difference in the fight so that I can learn as much as possible. I recently came across this article https://people.com/human-interest/eric-stevens-firefighter-als-raising-awareness/   Eric Stevens was just 30 years old when he was diagnosed. Have a look at his story and how he is contributing.

Who inspires you?

Susan Hoerber replied 4 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dagmar

November 26, 2019 at 11:05 am

Thank you for your kind words Amanda. (include yourself too, as someone who is reaching out and helping others!)

Our ALS community is made up of so many talented and determined people. From writers, to fundraisers, to organizers, to researchers and more — all working together to reach a cure!

• Susan Hoerber

November 27, 2019 at 8:29 am

Steve Gleason and The Gleason Foundation ! Steve Gleason still amazes me how much he has done and continues to do for PALS and his local community. The most inspirational person in my life that I currently live as a ALS quadriplegic.