ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS What new habits or skills are you working on?

• What new habits or skills are you working on?

Posted by Dagmar on March 26, 2024 at 1:01 am

Lately, I’ve noticed I’m taking a lot longer to finish my meals. I’m eating and drinking OK, but languishing too long due to distractions like reading the newspaper or checking messages on my tablet. It’s a habit I want to change. So, I’ve set a new goal for myself to focus on the meal and finish within 30 minutes.

I’ve also begun doing specific finger and hand stretches before I begin typing on my computer.

What new habits or skills are you working on?

Rooster replied 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dagmar

March 26, 2024 at 12:29 pm

Sometimes we don’t realize we’re accommodating or compensating for an ALS symptom… that leads us into a negative habit. For example, I have the tendency to sit for long periods of time due to weak legs and ALS-related lethargy. I now try to take a break every 1/2 hr. to bend & extend my legs (5-8 times each leg) and stretch my arms up while leaning back. It’s a new habit that helps me live with my ALS.

• Amanda

March 27, 2024 at 7:47 am

Dagmar,

I think you are reading my mind! The past couple of months I’ve noticed it I don’t stand up at least every 30 minutes or slow my legs are extremely stiff and it takes me a few minutes to get moving. I’m grateful I can still walk, but I know I need to focus on keeping the skills I have. One way I can do that is by setting an alarm every 30 minutes to remind me to get up and stretch.

• Rooster

March 28, 2024 at 2:41 pm

Myself im learning not to bite my lip or inside of jaw or slobbing all over myself doctor suppose to give me sometning to cut down on it.