ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Your ALS Travel Essentials

• Your ALS Travel Essentials

Posted by Dagmar on July 26, 2022 at 1:02 am

Have you been able to take any major trips this summer, or just short jaunts out and about? If so, what is the one item you can’t travel without?

When I ponder that question, my mind immediately goes to more trivial things such as my phone, my iPad, etc., but for someone with ALS, or any condition really, other things may come to mind.

So, what are your travel essentials?

Bill Corrigan replied 1 year, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Alma Carr

July 26, 2022 at 2:23 pm

For me my one essential would be my enteral syringe since I am totally dependent on tube feeding.

I went to Mt. Rainier National Park for one week from So. Calif. and had a good time a couple weeks ago. About a month ago, went to Denver and Rocky Mtn Natl Park.  I guess my other essentials or that make my life easier, are iPad to use writing pad, my phone for text to speech app. Of course, push comes to shove, I use paper and black sharpie.  Another “essential” would be the extra tube I was given to have on hand just in case.

• Dagmar

July 26, 2022 at 2:39 pm

Great to hear your trips to the National parks were good ones. Those are good tips too!

• Bill Corrigan

July 26, 2022 at 4:27 pm

I drove from Austin, TX to Cleveland OH, and in my Subaru Outback I could put my recumbent tricycle. The other great thing I did was get hand controls for brake & gas installed, so I don’t have to rely on my legs and feet for driving. Great adaptation!