Anti-Inflammation Treatment Masitinib Protects Against ALS Damage, Researchers Say

AB Science SA‘s anti-inflammation treatment masitinib protects muscles and nerves against damage from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), researchers have concluded.

Professor Luis Barbeito of the Institut Pasteur in Montevideo, Uruguay, presented the findings at the 27th International Symposium on ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) in Dublin, Ireland, in December of 2016.

Masitinib is an oral treatment that inhibits proteins known as tyrosine kinases that play important roles in cells. Preventing the proteins’ activation helps fight cancer, inflammatory diseases and disorders of the central nervous system (CNS).

Researchers have learned that masitinib reduces inflammation in immune-system cells such as mast cells and microglia that can promote the development of ALS.

“Beyond our recently published findings, we have acquired additional preclinical data showing neuroprotective effects of masitinib in ALS,” Barbeito said in a news release. “We have now shown that masitinib generates its observed neuroprotective effect in ALS by regulating neuroinflammation in the peripheral nervous system [the part of the nervous system that regulates muscles] as well as the central nervous system and that it also penetrates the blood-brain barrier to a greater extent than previously thought. Overall, these data provide further compelling pharmacological rationale for the recently reported positive phase 3 interim analysis.”

A previous study of rats carrying a genetic mutation that leads to ALS showed that masitinib inhibited microglia and prolonged the lives of animals that developed the paralysis associated with the disease.

Meanwhile, interim data from a Phase 2/3 trial (NCT02588677) showed that masitinib and the ALS treatment riluzole improved patients’ quality of life and ability to survive. Researchers used the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis functional rating scale, which measures progression of the disability, quality of life and survival, to assess patients who had taken 48 weeks of treatment.

Masitinib was granted Orphan Drug status in 2016 by the European Medicines Agency’s (EMA’s) Committee for Orphan Medicinal Products.

1. Deanne says:

So when do ALS patients get access to this drug????? Our loved ones are becoming paralyzed and dying while we continually read about treatments that are effective and yet we have no access to. The height of cruelty.

• Tim Bossie says:

This treatment is in phase 2 and 3 trials now and not available to the general public. We do not know at what point we may see the approved product.

• A fellow PALS says:

My suggestion is to bombard the FDA with calls from every friend, relative, and colleague you can think of. Email the FDA contact info. to everyone you know and ask them to call the FDA…weekly if needed. I met with my Congressman this morning and I urge you to do the same. If our collective voice gets loud enough, surely they will hear us and hopefully it will lead to action! The 21st Century Cures Act has provisions to allow the FDA to move things to market much more quickly than in the past. PLEASE CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!

• M. Gauthier says:

Hope someone can help us in this progress to get that Massitinib as soon as possible for someone is a question of time

• Debbie McCravy says:

My congressman is Mark Sanford from South Carolina and he has yet to meet with me – very frustrated!!! His father passed from ALS so you would think he would be more receptive to helping PALS and CALS. We need treatments NOW, not trial after trial, after trial. There are treatments and even a cure somewhere out there in the world and the USA is the LAST place to give hope to ALS patients. My husband has ALS and I am just plain fed up.

• ALS Sufferer says:

Don’t stop calling his office. Insist he meet with you! Insist he urge the FDA to get us help. Be loud, be persistent!

2. Hossein Oshrieh says:

Wouldn’t it make sense to allow this drug be made available to any ALS patient who wants it. The risk will remain with patient while the pharma and medical community would benefit from large scale results. It’s a win win for all sides.

• sal says:

why law suits if patient signs waiver and takes responsibility, its a crime not to give access to any medications that can help.
        the other option is to loose all you have.

3. John says:

Sorry for my frankness but you certainly do not have many answers . If patients agree to try at own risk how can there be lawsuits? There is so much momentum building for als treatment but it’s like wind that isn’t allowed to touch our sails. .cant exceptions be made sometimes? Especially that this drug is already being used in cancer treatment. What do als patients have to lose? If you could be in our or caretakers shoes for just one day…just one day…you would know.

• Tim Bossie says:

I wish we made the rules, but we don’t. There is a lot of momentum right now and we hope that it continues so that many people will be able to benefit, and possibly one day soon be cured of this awful disease.

• A fellow PALS says:

If it is already in use for cancer treatments in another country, let’s find out what country and import it. If it is the US, then drugs here can be used for off-label treatments of other conditions. If someone knows where this drug is available, please post here and I will research a way for us to get it. Does anyone know how it is administered…IV, oral, injection, intrathecally, etc.?

• ALS Sufferer says:

The drug is available in Singapore, but is designated as “veterinary use”. I do not know the implications of humans taking veterinary drugs, but the FDA has given us no choice but to take it upon ourselves to try. Please let us know if you find a way to get it, or know someone who has tried the veterinary version, or you decide to try the veterinary version. I am tempted to give a try. It is orally administered.

• don ng says:

hell sir i m for singapore do you know where to access this masivet for vet i heard that is the sames as masitiinb is it true i not sure
          thanks

• Debbie McCravy says:

Very well said. Thank you. There are far too many treatments, pills and even a cure out there, but unavailable to ALS patients outside of those folks enrolled in clinical trials. We poured ice water over our heads and were part of the $100 million raised for ALS patients……..what did my husband receive as a result of the Ice Bucket Challenge – nothing.

4. Kim Persaud says:

It’s seems all you can do is tell us what is happening with research. What is the point of posting your research, which means nothing to Als patients. It’s like given false hope. It will be nice if you can get one treatment available. Then it will show that you are actually working for Als patients.

• Tim Bossie says:

We are a digital publishing website that publishes the latest research and news surrounding ALS. We do not create, nor do we sell, any type of treatment. We only publish news.

• Gavin Gibson says:

Let’s get enough names and signatures together on a formal petition to go to governments in all our countries asking for legislation that will allow patients with diagnosed ALS (MND in Australia) to voluntarily agree to use this drug now! Will ALS News today be prepared to coordinate such an undertaking? I’ll sign it!!!

• Tim Bossie says:

Hi Gavin… we can certainly understand your passion for this. ALS is such a terrible illness that wrecks families and leaves brokenness in its wake. Your idea is not out of the realm of possibilities, but would have to be citizen led and be coordinated by someone (an organization) much larger and more influential than ALSNews.

• Loriann Grimes says:

I have ALS and have survived 6 years so far but my symptoms have started to speed up. We have to be given a choice we do not have the choice if we are going to die. So I do not understand the law suit issue?

5. Anne says:

Is there the possibility of use in “Right to Try” states? Sorry for my ignorance but by father was only recently diagnosed so we are just learning as we go.

6. Indira manyam says:

Hi All,
    My husband is suffering with MND, we tried all the options but there is no improvement and decease is progressive.
    We are literally waiting for medicine, but still it is in R&D stage for getting FDA approval.
    we are ready to provide any written letter to use this medicine.
    Can somebody advice us to get this medicine my mail ID is imanyam@spglobal.com

7. Donna Stephens says:

My husband was diagnosed with ALS in January and since then I have been researching, it feels endlessly. I came across Masitnib earlier and found that it has been used in veterinary medicine for years. Look up Masivet. Thank you Tim for your effort and information.

Masitinib is a tyrosine-kinase inhibitor used in the treatment of mast cell tumors in animals, specifically dogs. Since its introduction in November 2008 it has been distributed under the commercial name Masivet. Wikipedia

• M. Gauthier says:

Massitinib /massivet is a drug Given to dog since 2008 as anti inflammatory
      Why FDA or Sante Canada don’t put that medecine on the market for peolple whose got ALS
      why why ? It’s important …
      it’S a question of Life or dead

8. John says:

I’m thinking about to use Masivet or Kinavet(Masitinib), it’s a vet drug, although the same substance. To long to wait. For the record these news have been reposting for years, although it’s hard to say about efficacy even from news.

9. Stephen Fazio says:

It’s sad that we humans have created a system that hurts us. It’s beyond words that so many have to live and die with ALS when there is hope out there.

10. Karen says:

There was a post of PLM yesterday asking people to write, call one email the FDA for approval of two drugs, I sent an email, please look into it and flood the FDA with demands for access now.

11. Amarillys Torres says:

There is no use trying to convince FDA of anything they going to do what is convenient for them , is all about money not lives

12. Thanks John k says:

Hi friends with ALS. I have ALS 4 years.i know that there are sincere people in the pharmaceutical side of things but ALS is a disease that has multiple causes and multiple effects on the body. Therefore to combat it one needs a multifaceted approach. I know that a treatment or drug could benefit this illness but I am not waiting for that.recently I brought on board as part of my fight, a functional medicine doctor. Please check into this! You will be amazed at what you can do to help yourself.

13. Joseph says:

My wife has had als for five years. I began feeding her fruits and berries which are high in antioxidants she has since plateaued and has been for almost a year. Please try it .it works. Free radicals I believe help als progress. Killing them off gives life to the patients. Blueberries blackberries peaches plums ect.

14. Laurie Adams says:

How long before terminal illnesses become in the right to try/right to die file? I’m certainly impressed and amazed at just how much money was placed in a system that really doesn’t seem to help the people WITH the disease.

15. Maryse Di Girolamo says:

Can we have an answer or an approximate
    How long people with this disease
    Als have to wait before this drugs masitinib will be available on the market

16. srikanth batni says:

my wife is suffering from ALS last three years, mastinib is a vet drug, though encouraging will it have side effects? there is nothing clear written about side effect, wrote to company they are ready to ship it if proper health ministry approvals for compassionate usage, which i feel is fair. have anyone tried using this

• ALS Sufferer says:

Srikanth,

Do I understand correctly that you wrote to the company and they are willing to supply the drug under compassionate use (FDA Expanded Access) for ALS patients? I have a Dr. that will file the paperwork for me if this is the case. If so, please post here and I will get you my personal email address. Thank you very much!

17. Virginia says:

I was diagnosed with ALS on April 2015 and Thank God I can still walk with a cane and Talk so i’m understood. I am taking ASEA and my Disease has not progressed at all in over a year. my daughter gets it for me from Amazon. I suggest you check it out on Asea.com first, it has helped me with energy also over all well being also prayer to God is a miracle worker.

18. Gaz says:

I have MND/ALS AND HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS DRUG WITH INTEREST THE UK VERSION OF THE FDA “NICE” ARE DUE TO PUBLISH THEIR FINDINGS IN JUNE 2018

19. Joe Larry says:

My Mom was diagnosed with ALS (Amyltrophic Lateral Sclerosis) also known as MND (Motor-neuron Disease) or Lou Gehrig’s disease in November of 2012.  I was told that she had a year to live, no more than two at best.  I believed the doctors for only a short time, then decided that dying of ALS was not acceptable. My Brother, Williams and I, embarked on a journey to heal.  We were introduced to an African herbalist whose herbs caused a turn around in my life. I’ve been on these African herbal drugs and i’m doing greatly. no more saliva and now i can use my arms and feet. all thanks to Dr.udokaspell@gmailcom the great African Herbalist…..   If I can do it, others can too.

info: Dr.udokaspell@gmailcom