ALS News Today Forums Forums Boosting Our Voices Awareness and Advocacy ALS Advertising: How Do You Want to Be “Wooed?”

• ALS Advertising: How Do You Want to Be “Wooed?”

Posted by Dagmar on December 27, 2022 at 1:01 am

The other day I opened up my print copy of the MDA “Quest” magazine (you can read the online version here) and noticed all the various ads for ALS-related medications and equipment.

This is one of the only places where I see print ads regarding ALS, as I normally come across them online. I don’t mind print ads, because they “stay put.” But many online ads are irritating: they jump out, cover what I want to read, or show up unsolicited via email. Sometimes, I’m reading an interesting article only to discover it was sponsored content – – actually an ad in disguise!

Am I the only one who is bothered by too much ALS-related online advertising? What kind of ads do you think are OK? How do you want companies selling ALS-related items to “woo” you?

Kathleen B (Katie) replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathleen B (Katie)

December 27, 2022 at 4:34 pm

…been wondering this awhile now—why or how is MDA (muscular Dystrophy Association) involved with ALS ? …if my interpretation of the acronym is correct…

• Dagmar

December 27, 2022 at 4:40 pm

Kathleen – – ALS is one of the many neurological diseases included under the Muscular Dystrophy Association “umbrella.” This page has an extensive list of the diseases covered: https://www.mda.org/disease/list Note that the ALS Association is a separate organization and not affiliated with the MDA.

• Kathleen B (Katie)

December 27, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Many thanks Dagmar for the list link! Very interesting indeed…mostly that there is an overlap in some things that ALS research is looking into for causes, treatments, clinical studies, etc.  (such as mitochondrial dysfunctions, protein ion issues, gastrointestinal problems and the like).