ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Have you applied for Expanded Access for an experimental treatment?

• Have you applied for Expanded Access for an experimental treatment?

Posted by Amanda on January 27, 2023 at 9:14 am

“Expanded access (or “compassionate use”) gives people access to investigational drugs under certain conditions outside of a clinical trial. The FDA always prefers that people participate in a clinical trial first to ensure they truly have no other options.”

There are a number of treatments in the pipeline, and some look promising. Therapies and treatments such as Tofersen (targeting SOD1 mutations), NurOwn, AMX0035, NU-9, Ravulizumab-cwvz.

Do you know of other treatments and if they target a specific ALS population? Has your doctor applied for Expanded Access on your behalf? Have you inquired about experimental treatments?
    What are your thoughts?

Mel McBroome replied 1 year, 2 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Mel McBroome

January 31, 2023 at 2:39 pm

Hi,

I am currently on CY-5032 clinical trial. I am on year 2 now. No side affects at all. It’s supposed to expand your life. I was diagnosed 2.7 years ago. I am also still working. I have muscle lost in arms and hands. But walk almost like normal. I also take around 10 supplements. Vitamins B, B12, C, D, E, Zink, Cal-Mas Plus, Cod oil, Diglot Forke and Dianna Protocol.

I first noticed weakening when I went out to surf in my home town of IB Imperial Beach, CA and could not lift myself on my Surf Board. From then on I just Body board and didn’t thin nothing of it.. Then the same year I saw my cousin and she said I Look different am I okay. I just told her I am working out harder at 24 hr. fitness. Then the next year I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome. After a year passed that’s when I decided to see my doctor and she recommended me to see a neurologist.

Prayers!
    Mel McBroome