ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress Research Topics New Treatment on the Horizon

• Dagmar

October 15, 2019 at 11:50 am

This is good news!

When I was diagnosed in 2010, there were very few clinical trials; and those were just the beginning stages of what we see now. Hopefully, discoveries will move along fast enough to become viable treatments for those of us – – now.

• Dave Williams

October 23, 2019 at 10:06 am

yes i requested to be included in the trial but did not meet the criteria. I was too old. If you want more information about m- stem cells this work was pioneered by a doctor currently in Panama and I think it’s the most promising stem cell research today.

The results of the study are to be available sometime in 2020 and I for one, is very hopeful about the outcome.

• Diana Belland

October 15, 2019 at 3:38 pm

After first reading about NurOwn a few months ago, I looked into the possibility of participating in a clinical trial.  But the studies exclude pALS over the age of 60, so I wasn’t eligible.

I wonder, once NurOwn receives FDA approval and becomes available for wide use, if it will be approved for pALS over age sixty.    Does limiting the studies to those 60 and under mean that the administration of the drug (by intrathecal injections into the spinal canal) may not be safe for older populations?

• Dagmar

October 15, 2019 at 4:32 pm

You have asked good question Diana. I haven’t read anywhere where 60+ is a risk in this type of procedure. And it is sad if the age cut-off is arbitrary, since ALS most often appears in the 60+ population.

• John Russell

October 16, 2019 at 4:26 pm

I usually get rejected based on being diagnosed more than 18 mos. I was accepted for Cytokenetics Reldesemtiv. I received the active. No one in the study had adverse side effects. Results were indicative of delay of progression but the statistics were not conclusive. I would love to have this drug since there is possible benefit & no risk but I guess it won’t be available.

• Russell Cowger

October 17, 2019 at 11:45 am

I will have my second visit for qualification of the trial on the 24th of October. I am honored to be invited to try. The fact that I could get a placebo kinda sucks but glad I get the chance to try.

On different note:

I am really curious about the fecal transplant trial that I seen was going to be happening soon.

• Dagmar

October 17, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Russell – – do you have a link to this fecal transplant trial?

• Russell Cowger

October 18, 2019 at 11:43 am

Not sure why my post is awaiting moderation

• Dagmar

October 18, 2019 at 11:58 am

Hi Russell – – your post was held up because it was a link to a Twitter post… often different social media platforms (Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, etc.) don’t “play well together” so, your post ended up being a lot of computer symbols and thus, unreadable.

Perhaps you can click on the actual Twitter post you have to be linked to a website? An actual website link will allow others to see your post, if you choose to post it again. Apologies… but that is the wonderful world of technology!

• John Russell

October 18, 2019 at 3:01 pm

Got your note, Amanda. I am scheduled to see Dr Rup Tandem, UVM reseacher who conducted the trial of Relmasemitiv in which I was enrolled. Will certainly report what he has to say.

• Russell Cowger

October 18, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Dagmar Check out Katharine Nicholson on twitter. She speaks of it.

• Chuck Kroeger

October 26, 2019 at 4:33 pm

I was diagnosed 6 months ago but symptoms started about a year ago.  I check pretty much every clinical trial and do not qualify due to decreased lung capacity of less than 60% and age – I’m 68.  At this point I would cherish the opportunity to try NurOwn.  I was on Riluzole for a week but the nausea, headaches and fatigue/dizziness were not worth trying to extend my life by possibly 3 months.  Praying for a cure.

• Dagmar

October 26, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Hi Chuck — aren’t those criteria for clinical trials frustrating? They are for me. Don’t feel old… I’m 68 too! 🙂 It seems like trials only want young, healthy ALS patients — lol!

In regards to lung capacity, perhaps my breathing routine will be of help to you: https://alsnewstoday.com/2018/05/29/als-breathe-well-balloons-bubbles/

Feel free to ask questions in these forums; we are a friendly, supportive group! 🙂

• Rudy Palenik

October 29, 2019 at 9:57 am

First of all NurOwn is not a drug. It’s a stem cell procedure. Stems cells are pulled from your bone marrow frozen and the stem cells are selected as to create the most effective NTFs and then-multiplied and then injected into your spinal fluid. Second the age requirement of Brainstorm phase NurOwn was created to get the best results out of the clinical trial as well as fast progressors.

• Dagmar

October 29, 2019 at 11:57 am

You are correct Rudy — thank you for clarifying. In addition, stem cells become neural cells only — they haven’t yet figured out how to create motor neurons  which is what we really need (to somehow replace the ones we’ve lost already).