ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Severe coughing/ choking episodes

• Severe coughing/ choking episodes

Posted by Kathy stitz on July 20, 2021 at 2:48 pm

Recently there have been a few times where I’ve had severe coughing and choking episodes where I was unable to breathe.  It was really scary and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what did you do?  Can anything be done to prevent this from happening?  Thank you in advance!

Jennifer Zink replied 2 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jennifer Zink

July 20, 2021 at 4:16 pm

I’ve had episodes like that.I am on a trach which is supposed to breathe for me. But, recently, I had such a pile-up in my lungs that I was not getting air. My nurse quickly set me up to my cough assist machine. She then got all of the mucous out of my lungs. The trach could now breathe for me.

• loyalng

August 9, 2021 at 3:58 am

Same here with the mucous, can you send me an image/model of the cough assist machine you’re using ? thanks

• Jennifer Zink

August 27, 2021 at 3:32 pm

I’m sorry, I can’t send a picture.I am bedridden now, as I can’t move anything but my face. When my nurse returns on Monday, I will ask her to take a picture.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 20, 2021 at 8:14 pm

I have done this. I have to sleep on my left side. I use a CPAP, and they want to start me with a BIPAP. Sleep apnea with the atrophy of muscles in the diaphragm does not play well together.

• Amanda

July 20, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Kathy, I’m so sorry to hear about your episodes. It does sound terrifying! Can you contact your doctor and discuss the ideas others have shared?