ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Positive attitude and ALS?

• Positive attitude and ALS?

Posted by Amanda on March 25, 2019 at 10:44 am

Did you know that the average age of ALS onset is 55? People can be diagnosed at any age, and there have been cases in people as young 12 years of age that have been diagnosed. However, nearly 80% of people are diagnosed between the ages of 40 and 70. Many people with ALS go on and live long productive lives. I have a cousin who was diagnosed in 2005, although she has some physical limitations, she is still actively parenting and volunteering. Stephen Hawkins is another great example. He had 3 children after being diagnosed with ALS. His professional achievements were just as amazing. What are you thoughts regarding a pALS’s attitude and positive thinking and how it possibly impacts the progression of ALS?

Amanda replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Diana Belland

April 10, 2019 at 11:21 am

Thank you for asking this question.  I discovered Dagmar Munn’s column and website shortly after my diagnosis a little more than four weeks ago, March 4, 2019.  After reading her e-book and quite a few of her columns, I began to feel encouraged that perhaps my diagnosis did not necessarily mean that I had just 2-5 years remaining.   I was deeply impressed by Dagmar’s positive and proactive attitude.  I followed many of the links to books and articles in her columns which talk about the mind/body connection.  I think I do believe that that stress can be a factor in the onset of illness and that perhaps reducing stress can help ALS patients to live longer, more comfortable, even active lives.

Positive thinking leads to positive action such as:  exercising, keeping up social connections, eating nutritious meals, getting enough rest, pursuing hobbies, staying informed about new research and treatments.

Having said that, though, I do have to work daily at keeping a positive attitude especially now when I have been noticing progression of weakness in my right (dominant) hand which makes typing on the laptop more difficult.  But I am very, very grateful for all that I can still do and my goal is to…well, frankly,…be like Dagmar!!   She is just incredible…I was pretty depressed for a few days after getting my diagnosis but reading her e-book showed me that my life wasn’t over and that there were positive ways to cope with this.  Dagmar’s wonderful sense of humor is so helpful, too.

I am so impressed by your cousin, still going strong after 14 years and parenting and volunteering.   I would love to hear more her and how her attitude and positive thinking may have helped her cope.

• Diana Belland

April 10, 2019 at 11:20 am

Hello, Amanda,

I just answered your question about positive attitude and received another message saying “this post is awaiting moderation.”  Am I doing something wrong?

A post I submitted last night produced the same message.

Thank you for your help.

Diana

• Amanda

April 10, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Diana,

Thank you for your posts. Dagmar is amazing. I keep going back to ALS News Today and reading her columns too. She is so inspiring.

Let me check. Sometimes one of the moderators have to approve a post. I’m not sure what triggers that action, but I will ask.