ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS ALS and evacuation shelters

• ALS and evacuation shelters

Posted by Amanda on September 3, 2019 at 7:58 am

So many of our members know that I live in Florida. In July I moved to South Florida. Things have been very chaotic this past week, and the chaos continues this morning. We have had an influx of people coming over to escape Dorian’s wrath. The storm is still unpredictable, and we have yet to see the impact it will make on the east coast.

Over the past week SW Florida has been spared, but we’ve opened shelters and our communities are already working on ways to help the victims of Dorian. At one point my local county had opened shelters or people with disabilities, the elderly and other special cases primarily in case we lose electricity.  They spokes people specifically mentioned people who needed oxygen other other equipment that required electricity.  Of course, my first thought was our forum members and others with ALS. Many need their communication devices, and some need oxygen and yet, other pALS have other needs not typical to other disabilities. It made me wonder if our shelters were equipped for the special needs of some people with rare diseases such as ALS. Would volunteers and county/city workers be knowledgeable and know how to help. Are there social workers and counselors on hand that are educated about rare diseases?

What do you think? Has anyone had to evacuate to an emergency shelter in the past?  What do you think would be helpful in these situations?

Amanda replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.