Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

We in the ALS community are always on alert about the portrayal of ALS and similar disabilities in books, movies, tv shows, and other forms of media. And I have exciting news about what I think is a big step forward in the inclusiveness of disabled actors – – and a rare opportunity to help raise awareness about ALS – – in the movies!

Here’s the news:
      I have been in contact with a writer/director based out of Los Angeles, who is in pre-production with a film he wrote where the lead character has ALS. The film is a genre piece and doesn’t center on the disease. Rather it’s the focal point of the character’s journey, which through the trials of the story, she comes to accept, and learns to live the life she has with meaning and optimism.

In his quest to want to tell this story correctly, he has reached out to me with questions about my own experiences with ALS, and I have been happy to help him with this. Now, he is underway with casting and so far, is still auditioning for the lead roles. One of the minor characters is in an advanced stage of ALS and has a conversation with the lead (who was just diagnosed).

Here’s the exciting part – – – In an effort to be authentic as possible, the director would like to cast an actual ALS patient. So, if you are interested, and living in either California or Oregon, please read the casting call that I have posted in the comment section below.

I plan to post updates as the project moves forward – – giving you a front-row seat to what I’m calling “ALS in the movies!”

Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

Hello ALS community,

We’re searching specifically to cast an actor with ALS. More information about the role is below. As of now, looking for actors based in California or Oregon. Thank you so much for your consideration.

CASTING FOR AN INDEPENDENT THRILLER FILM

THIS IS A ONE-SCENE ROLE ON A LOWER-BUDGET FEATURE FILM.

WE WILL CONSIDER AN ACTOR WITH EXPERIENCE OR A NON-ACTOR.

THE ROLE WILL SHOOT ONE DAY IN MARCH, PER AVAILABILITY. ROLE CAN BE MALE OR FEMALE, PREFER AGE of 30s-50s.

[JAMIE] Jamie is a person with ALS; he or she is in a wheelchair. Jamie takes part in a FaceTime session with ‘Elsa’, asking her questions about her situation — and gives her pointed, empathetic advice regarding her recent diagnosis…3 speeches & 7 lines, 1 scene. Seeking an actor or non-actor with ALS who’s using an AAC device for speech.
      This is a one-day role in the movie, we are looking for someone based in either California or Oregon. Any ethnicity. Paid job, at scale plus ten SAG/AFTRA Ultra Low Budget Agreement rate for one day.

Producers are committed to diversity, inclusion, and authenticity. We strongly encourage performers {with ALS} to apply for this role.

AUDITION OVER ZOOM IS REQUIRED.

UPDATE: this role has been filled. Check back for updates on the movie’s progress.

Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

I hope one of our forum members will audition and be picked for the role!

If you are the one, please let us know… and, keep us updated on how it all goes 🙂

Lisa Bonahoom
        Participant

Hi Dagmar!  I auditioned yesterday and it was a marvelous experience!  I was an actress before ALS and I thought it was gone forever. I so enjoyed working with them. I will let you know  what comes of it. Thank you for the connection. Lisa

Amanda
          Keymaster

Lisa,

That is so cool!! I a super excited for you.  Yes, please keep us all posted!!

Amanda

Gwen McMartin
      Participant

This is wonderful! The more exposure ALS & MND have in the world the better!  Increasing awareness & then support for research is crucial.

Lisa Bonahoom
      Participant

Dagmar and friends, I got the part!  So excited!!  I did the callback today.
      Lisa

Roxanne Kusske
        Participant

Congratulations!

Amanda
        Keymaster

LISA!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Now I know a real star 🙂  I can’t wait to hear all about your experiences. Please keep us posted.  This is so exciting.

Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Yay!

Congratulations Lisa!!!

This is big – – please keep us posted on how things go – – and, when we’ll get to “see you in the movies!” 😉 😉

Dagmar

Kathy stitz
      Participant

Congratulations Lisa and best wishes!

MaryConnolly
      Participant

Awesome Lisa! Just awesome. Thanks for representing us!

Lisa Bonahoom
      Participant

Hi friends!  Just an update. I am filming April 20th. So excited to represent!  I will keep you in the loop. Lisa

Dagmar Munn
        Keymaster

YAY! Lisa! Thanks for the update.

By the way, do you have any idea when the film will be finished and we’re able to see the whole movie?

Bill Corrigan
      Participant

Congratulations Lisa! How exiting and great to hear the producers are after authenticity. May everything go smoothly for you.

Lisa Bonahoom
      Participant

The film is still in production and I don’t know it’s release date. I will share when I do. Lisa

Lisa Bonahoom
      Participant

I am looking forward to filming in two weeks!  I am sending my son to pick up my late sister’s wheelchairs to use for the shoot. We will be filming in San Francisco     My sister’s home and table was chosen by the production company. Thank goodness for family!  Lisa

Dagmar Munn
        Keymaster

Wow – – things are moving along Lisa! Can’t wait to read about your experiences from the actual filming. Good luck – have fun! Thanks for the updates 🙂

Kathy stitz
      Participant

Hi Lisa, We will be thinking of you on Wednesday for the filming!  Hope everything goes well for you.

Lisa Bonahoom
      Participant

The shoot was moved up one day.  We are now shooting on Tuesday!  I will share the experience when I can!  Lisa

Kathy stitz
      Participant

We will be thinking of you on Tuesday then! Let us know how it goes when you have time.

Lisa Bonahoom
      Participant

I will be using my late sister Carol’s wheelchair.  It will be a tribute to her. ALS took her last year.

lisa

Kathy stitz
      Participant

Lisa, I’m so sorry for the loss of your sister.

Lisa Bonahoom
      Participant

It’s a wrap!   We filmed yesterday and it was an amazing experience. The director and film crew were so thoughtful. It was filmed in my sister’s house in San Francisco. We worked around the sounds of the city!  It was strange to be in my sister’s wheelchair. It fit me .  The makeup artist did her best to make me look sick, as my character was much more impacted by ALS. Such a memory!!

Dagmar Munn
      Keymaster

Congrats Lisa! What a unique and wonderful experience. it’s great to hear the feedback about the director and crew. I had emailed back and forth with the director early on – – when he asked me if I knew anyone with ALS who might want to be in his movie (HA!) and he was kind and considerate then too. ………..and to be in your sister’s wheelchair (hugs to you).

You are paving new ground for the visibility of the ALS community. Thank you again for stepping up. And for keeping us informed along the way.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account