ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ Questions from Caregiver

• Questions from Caregiver

Posted by XyzABC123 on January 25, 2024 at 10:40 am

Hello

I’ve been home with my husband, Steve, since October full time. I had to leave my job. I’m looking to work from home but live in a rural area. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or direction to point me in. I worked previously in the local school cafeteria. However, I have office skills also.

Also, currently my insurance is good through May. I need to seek another insurance option to have for me but also in addition to my husband’s medicare. Any advice would be great.

I needed to just get through the holidays and everyday life with ALS before I tackled these things. I’m my husband’s caregiver. He isn’t open to any other person.

Thank You and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Lisa Whittaker replied 3 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • steve-L

January 25, 2024 at 2:23 pm

The first thought that popped into my mind was to have you join LinkedIn. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s a “social” site focused on professional relationships. Anyone can use it so, please, don’t be intimidated by my description of it.

One of its many features is a jobs posting. You can enter your skills, type of work, remote or on-site, etc. I follow job postings daily even though I’m retired and not looking for work.

I think this might be a really good place to start your search. Good luck to you and Steve.

• Lisa Whittaker

January 25, 2024 at 5:11 pm

I am not 100% sure but you may be able to draw money from social security as your husbands care giver. I would call the local social security office and find out and it would at least be some income while you are looking for a job at home. Lisa