• Posted by John M C on February 9, 2023 at 7:49 am

Hello

I have graduated from a walking stick to a rollator and will be needing a scooter soon. My first priority is one that will allow me to enjoy my yard so I need something that can handle rolling on grass. Seems like most aren’t made for this use. It’s relatively flat so I don’t need something that is necessarily “all terrain”, but there are areas of incline, and my grass is pretty thick. I live in Wisconsin and would like to be able to get to my mailbox. I have no expectation of being able to drive thru multiple inches of snow in the winter months, but something that can get me down my driveway once the snow is plowed/compacted would be great. Can anyone help with advice on a scooter made with outdoor use in mind? As of now, I can “furniture walk” the short distances indoors so I envision this in my garage and taking it out in my yard and neighborhood. I will worry about indoors down the road – want to enjoy this Spring and Summer! Thanks to all!

John M C replied 1 year, 2 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Dagmar

February 9, 2023 at 11:36 am

John, I have been using a Drive brand “Spitfire” mobility scooter for my outdoor excursions for about 6 years (the same one! only had to replace the battery unit once). And mine handles pavement, brick, gravel, and grass surfaces. I haven’t tried it with hilly, bumpy grass, though.

We ordered mine via Amazon. But before ordering, my husband took me to a local Mobility Scooter Sales business where I sat in a few and drove them around the parking lot. That way, I knew what I wanted in a scooter. The price was much better on Amazon.

Besides durability, I recommend you find one that is COMFORTABLE to sit on for an extended time. Some have you sitting scrunched up. Also, your body weight is important – – heavy pALS need sturdier scooters. And by all means, avoid 3-wheeled ones – – they tip easily.

Here is a photo of mine: https://alsandwellness.blogspot.com/2021/08/give-mobility-scooter-try-it-can-be.html

and here: https://alsandwellness.blogspot.com/2021/08/more-mobility-scooter-aventures-part-2.html

• John M C

February 9, 2023 at 12:02 pm

Thanks, Dagmar. I am sure I speak for all when I say your resourcefulness is greatly appreciated!

• Suzanne Gallo

February 9, 2023 at 8:44 pm

Please do not attempt using a power chair on any type of uneven terrain. You may tip over  I can only imagine a scooter would present the same challenge  Important- avoid thick grass. You will spin wheels. You may have to be rescued- and rescuing is dangerous to PALS and CALS.
    Bringing mud caked wheels into the house is not a positive thing.
    Most PALS are not slow progressing, like Dagmar. Scooters are super temporary. Get a power chair ASAP.

• Debbie Zolnierowicz

February 9, 2023 at 9:28 pm

On the scooter or “beginning” power chair end, I would suggest something front-wheel drive, like the Pride Jazzy Elite.  My husband has used one pretty successfully in our rural yard/drive/gravel lane.  He’s only been stuck once, and it was pretty nerve wracking.  We have been lucky to use one from the Les Turner loan closet – because it’s only been 6 months and it’s no longer suitable for his needs.

Every person with ALS progresses at such a different rate and with unique needs.  I would recommend that you address your question to a PT or OT at the ALS clinic.  This resource has been a blessing in helping us in my husbands transition.  A year ago he was walking with a cane.  Tomorrow we are trying out his second Permobil power chair.  The ATP who fit his first loaner chair was able to quickly see that my husband needed a chair with better rise and tilt to assist him exiting and entering safely, as he’s 1 foot taller and 100# heavier than I am.  I feel really lucky to be able to try out these chairs on loan from the foundation.  We are not only transitioning from rollator to power chair, but it’s also proving valuable at his desk, the kitchen island, the dining room table, and the puzzle table (success tbd still lol).   I can’t wait to use it outside at his workbench and the gardens.

I wish you luck in finding the right solution for you!

• John M C

February 10, 2023 at 7:44 am

Thank you all for the informarion!!

• Bill Corrigan

February 10, 2023 at 8:06 am

I skipped the scooters altogether and went for a manual wheelchair with a freewheel attachment and a smart drive. I have full use of my arms and chest still.
    with the free wheel I can go on all kinds of terrain. I leave it in my car so I have it when I need it.
    The smart drive is awesome! It “pushes” the chair and I can adjust how much it assists, so I can still exercise as I walk my dog.
    I can sit it my chair at home for hours and it is comfortable. And insurance paid 100%!

• John M C

February 11, 2023 at 12:03 pm

Bill- what specific make and model are you using? I haven’t investigated this option. That may be the way to go as I am already overwhelmed with the number of brands/styles/options/etc/etc of scooters. Seems like I am on my own to figure out what is best so I really appreciate your contribution and advice. The smart drive option definitely sounds like a good idea.

• MaryConnolly

February 10, 2023 at 8:28 am

My husband uses a Whill mobility chair. The engineering on the front wheels is amazing and allows him to turn on a dime. He can navigate grass, curbs up to 2″, and outdoor trails if they are wide enough and not too bumpy. We took it on a designated accessible outdoor trail close to our home and it navigated the hard packed rocky terrain just fine! It can manage inclines up to 10º which many mobility devices cannot. And it breaks down into 4 pieces so it’s portable. Heaviest part is 42lbs. Highly recommend that you take a test drive at a local dealer. We found a dealer at the Center for Independent Living in Berkeley. It’s not inexpensive and insurance did not cover our purchase. Be sure the check out the Specs tab at the site below.

https://www.spinlife.com/Whill-WHILL-Model-Ci2-Travel-/-Portable-Power-Wheelchair/spec.cfm?productID=116302&adv=googlepla&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=googlepla&utm_term=&utm_campaign=610138039&gclid=CjwKCAiA0JKfBhBIEiwAPhZXD8CSOvK5tiq-cNhaE59sxT8ZSDKHJKkUy4Bupi83-WePmCFbvbBcShoCvKMQAvD_BwE

• MaryConnolly

February 10, 2023 at 8:29 am

Here is the video of my husband on an accessible Mt Tamalpais trail in the aforementioned Whill chair. We traversed the first .12 mile of McKennan Gulch Trail which led to a stone bench overlooking Bolinas Lagoon, Marin County. The trail continues on for several miles, but we did not adventure that far as it becomes much steeper. Accessible meant less than 10 degree incline and paved to be wide.  A great day spent with a college buddy! I hope the video comes through–if not I can email it if I have your info.  Happy trails-Mary

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xPP6aJfucbQ60-gbWuIdFP_N3TI1AbFC/view?usp=sharing

• John M C

February 11, 2023 at 12:08 pm

Thanks, Mary. I appreciate your time in sharing. Video came through. I have actually looked into this one – price will definitely be a consideration.

• Bill Corrigan

February 16, 2023 at 6:32 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I have a TiLite AreoZ. Insurance paid for it. I just added knobby wheels! Looking forward to getting into more rugged terrain! Enjoy!

• John M C

February 17, 2023 at 7:15 am

Got it, Bill. Thanks! Add some mud flaps with those knobbies!

• Rose Vas

July 27, 2023 at 7:41 am

Has any seen a scooter that the seat goes higher? Hubby can’t sit anywhere unless it’s 25.5 “ or higher….
    Looking for light weight chair with higher seat for getting him to Dr. Etc….
    thank you