• Posted by Jane Kriskey on September 4, 2020 at 9:07 am

Years ago I bought a Chevrolet that came with a passenger swivel seat. It so happened that at that time I had a bad accident and was using a walker. This seat was a great asset to me for getting in and out of the car.

I have never seen that offered again in any car and wonder if anyone knows if one of these seats could be installed. The ones I see on the site are very very intricate and not what I am looking for. I just want a simple swivel seat for easy access so my daughter can have some help when trying to get into the car.

Thanks,

Jane

David Crellin replied 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • David Crellin

December 11, 2020 at 9:42 am

Hi Jane, before I was diagnosed with ALS I was converting a Japanese import Toyota Alphard into  a camper van. They are basically Lexus people-carriers, extremely well equipped, very low mileage and in excellent condition. One version features a front passenger seat that slides out and drops to allow the passenger to avoid the drop from vehicle to kerb. However, and here’s your problem, they are all right-hand drive.

But for ayone in the UK or other country where they drive on the left, they are an affordable disability vehicle option. Mine is a hybrid too.

I also converted for myself an ex-patient transport ambulance that has rear air suspension and an access ramp. At the press of a button, the rear drops to the ground, the ramp cantilvers into position, and I can roll on board. It was fitted with wheelchair docking. So now it’s back to being what it was designed to do, plus having cooker, fridge, sink, toilet and power shower cubicle. I never thought when I bought and converted it just how useful it would prove.