Living With ALS: Clara’s Story

ALS can be a difficult disease to diagnose as many of the early signs and symptoms can mimic those of other conditions. In this video shared by Mike Brez, we meet Clara. Clara has recently been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) after first being misdiagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome.

Can exercises help with swallowing for ALS patients? Find out more.

Clara talks us through her diagnosis process which took six months to reach the correct conclusion, and how quickly she has declined since the onset of her first symptoms. Her daughter, Laura, takes us through her mom’s daily routine of gentle stretching and talks about the assistance she needs, while Clara explains her current symptoms and how the disease has affected her body.

Find out about the role motor neurons play in ALS.

ALS News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

1. Tsipi says:

I watched your video and my heart goes out to both of you. I lost my husband to ALS two years ago, and I know very well what you are going through. I’d like to share with you a tip that I got from a physiotherapist, which made the maneuvering from bed to wheelchair just a little bit easier. Get a turntable – a lazy susan that you put on the table (I think Ikea sells them for about 10 dollars) or something like that. Stick an antislip surface on the bottom. Then place it under your mother’s feet when you lift her up. That way you can do the turn to the wheelchair easily without the “little dance”.

• Tim Bossie says:

We are very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience and your tip to not only help Clara, but other readers.

• Tracy Riedel says:

I was going to recommend this as well. I lost my mom in July and watching you two was like looking in the mirror.

Also contact your local ALS chapter and see if they can get a lift for you. They won’t charge you anything. Soon you won’t be able to lift your mom. :(. Once the feet/legs go it’s extremely diffficult to do anything w/o a lift. I LOVE SHE HAS HER VOICE!!!!

2. Donna Jean says:

She needs a hoyer lift to help transfer her from point A to point B. It would be safer than how they are doing it now. She also needs a real hospital bed, a headmaster neck brace and a powered wheelchair. All these things, except the bed can be furnished by the ALS-Association. The bed she would need a script for from her Dr and Medicare/insurance would pay for it.

3. Marizol Florez says:

I lost my husband 1 month ago to ALS. I know what its like to move them from point A to B. Well I have a portable hoyer lift that i would love to donate. Please let me know.
    Big hug
    Marizol Florez

• Ana maria says:

Marizol im so sorry for your loss. My father was diagnosed 5 months ago and has been very difficult. We really appreciated if you can donate us the portable hoyer. Is getting more and more difficult to move him. Blessings and hugs. Ana maria Gschwendtner