ALS News Today Forums Forums Boosting Our Voices ALS Awareness Month Best questions to ask your doctor when you are initially diagnosed – – ALS Awareness Month 2024

• Best questions to ask your doctor when you are initially diagnosed – – ALS Awareness Month 2024

Posted by Dagmar on May 15, 2024 at 1:01 am

“ALS Tips & News You Can Use”

We know that newly diagnosed ALS patients and their families are well “aware” of ALS. Rather, they often ask for help navigating the ups and downs of living with the condition. So, for ALS Awareness Month, our forum moderators have created “ALS Tips & News You Can Use.” It’s a collection of up-to-date ALS information, resources, and tips.  Forum members are invited to comment and share their suggestions on each topic posted. Let’s help each other learn how to live with ALS.

Best questions to ask your doctor when you are initially diagnosed

Being told by your doctor that you have ALS can leave you feeling overwhelmed and unable to think of essential questions. Often all the questions come out later at home, with no doctor in sight. Or, the questions don’t come at all. If you have been recently diagnosed with ALS, here is a list to bring with you to your next appointment.

1. Is my form of ALS genetic or sporadic?
    2. What medication(s) do you suggest? 
    3. Should I enroll in a drug trial?
    4. Would any of your current ALS patients be willing to talk (or email) with me to share their experiences?

What additional questions have you asked your doctor?

Dagmar replied 2 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dagmar

May 16, 2024 at 11:50 am

I also asked my doctor about continuing to go to the dentist (yes), continuing annual health screenings – – like mammograms or colon cancer (only if I were at risk), and if I should continue exercising (yes).

• Dagmar

May 21, 2024 at 11:18 am

How about the best questions to ask your physical therapist? Occupational Therapist? Dietician? Speech-Language Pathologist? Others?