ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Do You have Difficulty Speaking? (Part 2)

• John Russell

June 25, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Next month marks 5 yrs. Since diagnosis. As mentioned by others, I began to worry about speech months ago. My wife an some close friends, when asked, insisted there detected nothing. This past wknd we attend 2 large parties & I had to talk over loud music and other voices. I knew I was having trouble enunciating, particularly lisping. When we got home I asked my wife if she noticed. She tearfully replied “yes”. I plan to fight and try some or Dagmar’s technique. Hope I can keep being understood. Social interaction is the best part of life for me now.

• Dagmar

June 25, 2019 at 7:40 pm

I’ve learned that I can no longer compete with crowds, noisy restaurants and lots of people talking at the same time. And that’s OK.

John, don’t give up! Be willing to speak slower; take your time to form the words. Breathe. I am happy to help with tips and ideas 🙂

• John Russell

June 25, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Thank you Dagmar. I new you would be there as I begin dealing with yet another “new normal”.

• Susan Hoerber

July 6, 2019 at 11:40 am

YES HARDER FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND ME/..USE VOICE AMPLIFIER .

• Dagmar

July 6, 2019 at 11:43 am

Susan, would you mind sharing what kind of/or what brand of voice amplifier you use? Thank you!