ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Exercise to maintain strength and flexibility and reduce stiffness

• Exercise to maintain strength and flexibility and reduce stiffness

Posted by Mark on September 7, 2023 at 4:32 pm

<div dir=”ltr”>Prior to ALS (diagnosed in May 2022), exercise– tennis, hiking, bicycling, swimming, etc.– was always a very important part of my life.   Now I get fatigued on the shortest of walks– and that’s with a walker. My quadriceps in particular seem quite weak, which I suspect is the main reason I’m so dependent on a walker.  My “go to” physical activities these days are stretching and yoga. I like that these don’t sap my limited daily store of energy too much.   For those of you who still can get around on your legs without a walker, do have suggestions of exercises, stretches, etc. to maintain as much as possible leg strength and flexibility and reduce stiffness?</div>
    <div dir=”ltr”>Mark</div>
    <div dir=”ltr”>Sunnyvale, CA</div>

Dagmar replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • KICO

December 30, 2023 at 7:13 pm

Hello, what type of stretches do you practice and what results have you observed?

• Dagmar

January 2, 2024 at 11:11 am

KICO and Mark – – I have found that traditional “stretch-ing” is of no help in maintaining my muscle strength & coordination. Instead, I do movements that take my joints through their full range of motion. Rather than holding in a stretched position, I gently move into it and out for several repetitions. I also focus on simple movements that increase my leg strength – – such as chair squats https://alsandwellness.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-power-of-just-one-chair-squat.html , these help me walk better.

• KICO

January 2, 2024 at 11:03 pm

<font style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><font style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>yo me siento muy bien con la fisioterapia, me ayuda a mantenerme caminando</font></font>

• Roman

January 3, 2024 at 6:55 pm

My physical therapist makes me move muscles that I rarely move, such us neck, Arms, shoulder. I feel little pain. Then she give me a massage. After the therapy I feel with more energy and strengh. For me, moving/exercise muscles is very important

• Kim Belden

January 4, 2024 at 3:05 pm

I find exercising in a very warm pool helps me more than anything. I have severe pain from another condition so walking is out of the question. It’s also very nice to get out in the sun. At night I do gentle stretches and meditate.

• Leelee

January 5, 2024 at 10:11 am

Hello,

May I ask, do you have a feeding tube and if so is it ok to swim with one?

Lisa

• Caroline Assmann

January 4, 2024 at 5:14 pm

Hi. I can no longer stand and get in a pool or on the floor Does anybody have ideas on what to do with limited mobility. Right arm is very weak too. So I can not use exercise bands anymore

• Roman

January 4, 2024 at 7:39 pm

Hi Caroline

I have severe weakness on my left arm (I cant move it), and my shoulder and neck (always I use a neck collar). My PT hold those weakness areas and slowly move it. I feel how the muscles are moving and make me feel good. I think the important is keeping moving the muscles by yourself or someone else.

• Dagmar

January 5, 2024 at 11:33 am

Hi Caroline, have you tried “chair or seated exercises” ? Or, therapeutic movements while lying in bed? There are many helpful videos on YouTube.

My mornings begin with several minutes of exercise-movement while I’m still lying in bed. Knees-to-chest, twisting, rolling over, etc.

• Saltys

January 6, 2024 at 7:11 am

Hi total agree exercise is good. I am in my 9th year since being diagnosed with ALS, my initial thought was to maintain my weight, extra calories, vitamins, etc.. I was convinced by the medical team to have a PEG fitted early and it has helped with water intake (1 litre a day via PEG + 1 litre of drinks). At first I exercised a lot but noticed tightness in muscles, I was prescribed muscle relaxants, but they generally loosen all muscles and stopped me walking altogether. With guidance I then moved to a combination of medication and physio therapy. I go to my private physio once a week and my amazing wife releases my tight muscles everyday. My ability to exercise has reduced overtime but I can still stand and walk short distances with a walker. Please remember everyone has a different journey through MND.

• Dagmar

January 9, 2024 at 11:19 am

Sounds like you have found a good way to help your body maintain its functional abilities.