• Memory loss

Posted by Nettie on March 14, 2024 at 5:09 pm

I have a lot of trouble finding simple words. I know that I know the word but it will not come to my mind. It is very aggravating not to be able to get through a simple conversation. I would love to hear from other people having this issue.

Johnny5 replied 1 month ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Dagmar

March 19, 2024 at 12:00 pm

Nettie, that is an issue I face every day… but I don’t know if it is due to my aging, or what? In my case, because I have difficulty forming some words, my brain has to do a lightning-fast search for synonyms – – words that mean the same thing but are shorter and easier to pronounce. Sometimes, the search is “flashlights in a dark basement!” 😉

• Ray

March 19, 2024 at 3:09 pm

This kind of memory loss is very common and not a precursor of dementia. it is a consequence of the volume of words we have stored in memory.The words usually return when the pressure to provide subsides

• Dagmar

March 21, 2024 at 12:13 pm

… or it could just be age-related memory loss.

But I do like the image of “having too many words stored in my brain” 😉 😉

• Johnny5

March 25, 2024 at 8:10 pm

This is what my VA Dr suggested (that it was age-related). Then I did some research to check and found that there is some comprehensive research covering this issue. See section 4.4 linked below.

Anomia is the problem I suspect is an issue with a percentage of us pALS.
      “Visual anomia or optic aphasia was first described by Freund in 1889 and refers to being unable to name objects presented in visual modality, but able to name the same objects when perceived tactually or when given a verbal definition of their function and use” (from ScienceDirect.com)

I have been doing this for 2 “ish” years. The VA has no clue how to diagnose it.

“Recent evidence regarding language disturbances in ALS-FTSD suggests impaired semantic and syntactic processing. Semantic deficits mostly manifest as anomia during confrontation naming or single word comprehension difficulties.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8065866/

• Eric Jensen

March 21, 2024 at 2:23 pm

See a physician with your complaint. Better that.

• John E. Mosman

March 22, 2024 at 6:52 am

My doc said cognitive decline is not unusual with ALS. I sure notice it, particularly short term memory. Long term seems fine, but ask me what I was doing two minutes ago…..

Well not that bad, but it is noticeable and frustrating.

• Danni

March 22, 2024 at 11:02 am

I too have noticed a decline in my short term memory since being diagnosed with bulbar ALS in October 2022. I’m 78 so maybe its age related. It’s frustrating.