ALS News Today Forums Forums Caregivers and Family ​ Reaching out to parents of the newly diagnosed

• Reaching out to parents of the newly diagnosed

Posted by faith-oremland on February 10, 2022 at 12:01 pm

<div>My 49 year old son was diagnosed on January 5.  These last four weeks have been an immense challenge (putting it mildly).  I’d like to share my experiences and how I learned to be able to get through one day at a time with others in my situation.  I am slowly coming out of the depths of what felt like hell.  The first two weeks were unspeakably horrible.  How did the change in my attitude come about?  I have a long way to go but reading the stories of the courageous ALS patients themselves and how Positive Mental Attitude (PMA) is the key to approaching each day is what started me on the path to being able to wake up each day with gratitude in my heart instead of fear.</div>
    <div>

I would love to dialogue with you, answer questions, be supportive, read your rants.  You may not feel it right now but, as an ALS Association staffer told me, “You are stronger than you think. You can do this!.”

</div>

Dagmar replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Dagmar

February 10, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Thank you for thinking of others in these same circumstances and for offering to share your experiences.