• Posted by len-jax on October 27, 2022 at 10:12 am

Since communication is becoming more of an issue, I am proactively pursuing more advanced AAC than the app I have on my phone. I met with the Speech and OT people for an evaluation and to get a feel for the tobii dynavox models available.

The two models available are the I13, which is Windows-based, and the TD Pilot, which is Mac IOS-based. Both have Eye-gaze technology built in for accessing the internet etc. The I13 is a little larger and can wake the device using eye-gaze and supports gaze driving of a PWC. The TD Pilot is a little smaller, but you can not wake it using eye gaze, nor does it have gaze-driving capability.

The problem I have is that I have been a Mac person for many years, and have all my documents, photos, and emails stored in the iCloud. I am familiar and have used windows machines in the past.

Is there anyone who was a Mac user who went to the Windows I13 that can comment on the transition? Additionally, is there any member who is using a TD Pilot Mac model of the tobii Dynavox that can comment on how it is working out? Do you any regrets on either model?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Len

len-jax replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Daniel Mitchell

October 27, 2022 at 5:52 pm

Hi Len,

I started with the Tobii Dynavox I16 when they offered that model.  Last year I received the Tobii Dynavox Pilot.  The eye gaze will wake the Pilot. I don’t know about driving my PWC.  I can still drive my PWC.  My speech is more affected and it works well.

Daniel

• len-jax

October 28, 2022 at 11:27 pm

Daniel,

Thanks for the response; it is beneficial. I have several more questions.

Does the TD Pilot do everything the I16 model did?

Why did you switch?

Do you have the mount for your PWC, and does it ever get in the way while driving?

Len

• Daniel Mitchell

October 29, 2022 at 12:25 pm

Good Morning Len,

The Pilot doesn’t do WhatsApp that I13 or I16 will do.  There’s no WhatsApp for iPad.  If have an iPhone, you can pair that with the Pilot that way all your calls and texts and pictures will come also on the Pilot.

I switched to the Pilot because I like Apple.  Also because the I16 was big.    The Pilot is a little bigger than the iPad Pro.  I have a mount for my PWC.  It’s on the left side and doesn’t interfere with my driving.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Daniel

• len-jax

October 29, 2022 at 11:29 pm

Daniel,

That was extremely helpful. Whatsapp appears to be a texting program, and I can do that from my phone and the Ipad or Td Pilot. That makes my choice much easier, as I also like Apple!

I still do transfers out of my PWC. Does the Pilot have a method of folding out of the way so I can stand up?

Thank you so much, Daniel; it is appreciated!

Len

• Daniel Mitchell

November 2, 2022 at 8:17 am

Len,

I have the mount from Tobii Dynavox and I haven’t mounted the Pilot yet so I don’t have an answer for you.  I will mount it tomorrow and let you know.

Daniel

• Ken Klebanoff

September 5, 2023 at 8:13 am

How can I find Toby Dina vox tutor, help for my husband? We are in desperate need of ongoing help to teach us how to use the machine we would be glad to pay for someone to come out weekly to work with us. Please help. Thank you, Mary.

• Ken Klebanoff

September 5, 2023 at 8:13 am

I should’ve included that we live in Marin County in California. So if anyone qualified to help please respond. Thank you so much Mary.