ALS News Today Forums Forums Boosting Our Voices Awareness and Advocacy Risk of Diseases Like ALS Almost 4 Times Higher in Professional Soccer

Tagged: 

• Risk of Diseases Like ALS Almost 4 Times Higher in Professional Soccer

Posted by richardhasals on August 10, 2021 at 9:47 am

Baseball has about 500 million fans worldwide and Major League Baseball finally had Lou Gehrig Day.

So here’s an idea…

Since the risk of ALS is almost 4 times higher in professional soccer players and soccer has over 3 billion fans worldwide, to raise awareness, how about selecting a soccer star with ALS and have a day for him?

Richard

richardhasals replied 2 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • richardhasals

August 11, 2021 at 1:35 pm

I have not reached out to any Soccer organizations about the suggestion of having an ALS day for a famous soccer player.  Since I have no clout, I did email the ALS Association about this topic.  As I expected, I received no response from them.

If someone has more influence than I have, then I suggest they make an effort and take on the responsibility to make a worldwide ALS day for a famous soccer player, either by contacting soccer organizations and/or various ALS organizations.

Soccer, with approximately 6 times as many fans as baseball, you’d think that a soccer worldwide ALS day (or maybe even a week) would have already been accomplished.

Richard