ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Smile! It Just Might Help Slow Down Your ALS

• michellemck

September 22, 2023 at 12:26 pm

Happiness? I was sent this podcast by a dear friend. It’s long and oh so worth it. Skip the first 5 minutes of ads. What I learned? 1. Happiness is not the absence of unhappiness. We need sadness in our lives to understand happiness. 2. I will start my day with a truth – I have ALS and I don’t know what will happen today And I am grateful to be alive and Grateful for the blessings that today will bring

https://spotify.link/06Fy0WfveDb

• edchavezcomcast-net

September 26, 2023 at 2:58 pm

Thank you for the information, this information validates my experience. I was diagnosed early 2022. I formed a team for the ALS walk in 2022 and named the team “Follow your Bliss” with the team motto “Smile Often”. People commented regularly that I seemed so positive. I admit I wasn’t always positive— had many nights awake and even weepy as I thought about the future and the need to make final arrangements. My breathing capacity had gone from 96% to 60% and I thought I was on the ALS express train. I remained positive enjoying the “small” things in life like the first sip of coffee, listening for the first bird to chirp, etc.

But introduction of a BiWaze air clearance system resolved my partially collapsed lungs. I have now been told by my doctors that the ALS is progressing slowly. I continue to enjoy life’s simple pleasures and have noticed that others living with ALS remain positive despite not being able to move around with their own power.

I am not saying it is easy but prayer, faith and remaining positive seem to have helped.