ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS Support Animals for ALS

• suzanne-gallo

July 13, 2021 at 8:24 pm

I seriously can not imagine any animals to take care of. It’s all I can do to take care of my PALS. Sometimes we go to bed late. Sometimes we sleep late. We have had pets for 30 years of our married life: now we have just each other. This is enough. I cringe to think of letting out a dog early in the morning- just after I might have gotten back to sleep, after helping my PALS get settled back to sleep.

• richaz

July 15, 2021 at 4:38 pm

I live alone and in May I adopted a rescue cat. She is 5 years old and has a gentle, playful adorable personality. She likes to sleep next to me at night and joins me on the couch when I watch TV. She is an indoor cat who likes to be near me all the time. It is comforting to have her as a therapy companion and it is amusing and a joy to watch her curious antics. Other then scoop out the litter box and put her food out twice a day, she is easy to take care of. I am a former dog owner and finally deciding on a cat instead has been a perfect decision for me.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 15, 2021 at 9:31 pm

I have 2 Beagles (2 and 5 y/o) and 3 cats (2@2y/o +1@3). They all think they are people, especially when it is time for me to eat. The dogs play with the cats and vice-versa, and mostly get along without a hitch. All of them but 1 are cuddle bots, and that 1 outlyer will curl up on my toes or feet if I provide a little wiggle on the chin from time to time.

Mostly, they all give unconditional love. Seems like they sense when I am down, and they come over to give me a lift. Support animals or pets, I suppose they are two different critters, but they both have a supportive part no matter.