ALS News Today Forums Forums Navigating ALS Challenges Mobility Aides, Assistive Technology and Medical Equipment A brand-new sub-forum: Let’s discuss mobility, technology and medical equipment

• Jeff_B

October 26, 2023 at 5:25 pm

I would like to add two general points to this thread.

My first point is simply to be proactive and stay one step ahead of your mobility needs. If you are using walking poles, get a rollator. If you are using a rollator, start looking at power wheel chairs, scooters and so on. It takes time to assess and obtain these devices and yo want them proactively available for use before you have an “incident”, thus avoiding the setback of an injury.

My second point is that you should attempt to get the right tool for the right job. Sticking with the prior examples, the correct rollator for inside the house is not the same as a suitable rollator for use outside. You need two different devices. My inside rollator is compact, nimble, has a nice tray and importantly has a one handed brake that brakes both wheels (Trust Let’s Go indoor rollator). My outside rollator is very sturdy with a wider footprint, large wheels, and a seat for a brief rest if needed (Trust Let’s Fly outdoor rollator). The same concepts are true for wheelchairs, scooters and other mobility devices.

In summary, get what you need, before you absolutely need it, and get the right tool for the right job. Procrastination and compromises can have big consequences, if you fall and get injured.

Page 2 of 2