ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS ALS and compassionate allowance

• ALS and compassionate allowance

Posted by Amanda on March 31, 2019 at 12:01 am

Did you know that if you have received a diagnosis of ALS, you qualify for social security disability? Your disability case should not be tied up in the long application process. It should be “fast tracked” and qualify forĀ  the Compassionate Allowances Program. Can anyone share their experience regarding applying for Disability, completing the paperwork or how long it took?

Amanda replied 4 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • mary-laustrup

April 5, 2019 at 12:51 pm

<p style=”text-align: right;”>I applied for Social Security and it took 5 months to receive medicare and the monthly stipend. I had no issues and I was 64 years old.</p>

• mary-jo-peterson

April 6, 2019 at 12:53 pm

I applied in November 2018 and started receiving the benefit in February 2019. The only hold up was determining the start date of disability. Was it diagnosis date or date symptoms first appeared? The Soc Sec Admin gave me benefits retroactive to my first appt with a Neurologist.

• Amanda

April 8, 2019 at 2:37 pm

It’s nice to hear that it isn’t taking a year or longer. Thank you for sharing your information! I think that will be helpful to other members.

• ray-chandler

April 8, 2019 at 6:40 pm

It took about 3 weeks to get approval with benefits kicking in 6 months after quitting work.Ā  SS Disability and Medicare started at the same time.Ā  No visit to the office was required.Ā  I filled out the application online and received a phone call interview from the local office a week or so later.

Ray

• Amanda

April 8, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Ray,

Thank you for sharing. That sounds like the process went fairly smooth. Is it a requirement to wait 6 months after a person stops working?

• ray-chandler

April 9, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Yes that is a SS requirement. There was a bill recently before Congress to waive the waiting period for certain cases (ALS being one) but I donā€™t know if it was ever brought up for a full vote.

• Amanda

April 9, 2019 at 4:48 pm

@Ray I thought I heard that was passed. I’ll have to do a little research and see if I can find some information from a reliable source online.