ALS News Today Forums Forums Living With ALS ALS and Incontinence

• ALS and Incontinence

Posted by Gail A on August 8, 2021 at 2:03 pm

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed already.

My husband has recently been experiencing urinary incontinence and after ruling out a UTI, I suspect it has a connection to ALS. It’s been a real game changer in terms of daily care, especially caring for someone who is partially paralyzed.

I would appreciate any thoughts or hearing from anyone who has experience with this.

Thank you so much,

Gail A

Amanda replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Amanda

August 9, 2021 at 8:11 am

Gail,

How is your husband doing otherwise? Have you discussed this with the doctor yet?

I took care of my father when he had ALS. His legs were the first to be effected. He did experience incontinence; however it was towards the end and he started losing control rapidly. Prior to that his progression had been very slow. He also had a some other health conditions.

Incontinence could be caused by numerous things, not just ALS. Ruling out a UTI was a great place to start! I would encourage you to work with your doctor to see what the other possibilities are and how to intervene. If it is because of ALS, perhaps reaching out to the ALS Association or other organizations to see if there is some assistance in care that you can receive.

Other forum members may have different experiences and suggestions. Hopefully you will get some additional information that will be helpful.

Amanda