ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS Article: Will This ‘New Normal’ Ever Feel Normal Again?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 4, 2021 at 2:29 pm

The Univ. of Florida did a check-up on masks in the lab.

Turned out that they are not so good for people. They were found to be contaminated with nearly a dozen types of parasites, fungi, and bacteria. Most of the masks came from children, but there was 1 adult mask in the test.

I was always astonished how OSHA would not certify the M95 as a safe mask for the general public, and then when the pandemic hit, all of a sudden science did an about-face without a twinkling of hesitation to endorse the safety of masks. Now, to find out that they may be just as dangerous as COVID anyhow, I am stunned.

This new “Normal” to me is nothing more than confusion and chaos because my brain is based on logic. If a critter cannot climb, how would it get in a tree? The same theology goes with the concept that fish do not climb mountains.  If the square peg does not fit into the round hole, then it probably does not belong there!

So the idea is that I take this one day at a time. I don’t need the chaos in my life, just facts that lead me to the truth. I threw my mask away. Originally, I wore it as a fashion statement because I never thought it worked from the start, but I bowed down in compliance.  That won’t happen again because I know that it is a square peg. My normal is using common sense and that tells me to think, think, think, for myself and not let some bureaucrat do it for me.

• Dagmar

July 4, 2021 at 3:44 pm

John – – apparently the U of Florida is refuting the story you are referring to about masks. https://alachuachronicle.com/university-of-florida-issues-statement-about-mask-pathogen-reports/
    They are mandating masks for all their employees https://coronavirus.ufl.edu/forward-students-families/forward-students-families-health-safety/

The CDC still recommends masks. I’m fully vaccinated, but I still wear one when indoors and among lots of people. Usually, when I’m out and about, it’s on my mobility scooter – – which has me in a seated position – – people around me are breathing (and sneezing) down on me :-0 I wear a mask because I don’t need to catch a summer cold from them.

But I agree with you on: take it one day at a time.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      July 4, 2021 at 7:58 pm

They did not actually refute the issue, but they did distance themselves from it by saying something to the effect that they need to “do more studies” on the issue.

Chain of custody may not have met the scientific standards for advanced studies, however, there is no reason to suspect the testimony of the actual participants was false.  The stated conditions the masks were exposed to are not that out of line with reality either, kids in schools get into all kinds of situations that would not be possible to find in a laboratory experiment. Finally, nothing is stated saying that the pathogens they found did not exist.

I would rate this more likely than not as having a viable basis in truth.