ALS News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and ALS “Be the Change You Want to See in this World.”

• “Be the Change You Want to See in this World.”

Posted by Amanda on March 20, 2020 at 2:24 pm

Over the past month we have seen news story after news story revealing how COVID-19 is disrupting our lives and causing panic and chaos in the world. Although we all know how terrible COVID-19 is, isn’t there some good that is coming from this experience?

I’ve had some eye opening experiences this past week! I’ve been off for Spring Break (I work for a school district in Florida) and we have no clue when we can return to work. I’ve lived here for about 5 months and haven’t gotten to know to many people so I’ve been feeling a little disconnected. I live in a small apartment complex with 5 neighbors. Two of my neighbors are elderly and have compromised immune systems. One is very friendly and takes every opportunity she can to talk. The other neighbor although she is very polite, is also very private. She will pass by with a friendly hello and then retreat to her apartment next door.

Every day I check on both of these neighbors. I bring food for one neighbors cats and I bring the mail to the other (private) neighbor.  I often wonder if I am disturbing her since she usually cracks her door, smiles and quietly thanks me. Yesterday I had my two pups out and she saw us. She opened her door and invited Coco (my youngest pup) inside, well sort of invited. She called her over and Coco ran insider her apartment. She smiled at me as she petted Coco and thanked me. She said she was completely taken back that I had been checking on her and it absolutely made her day. We spent a few minutes talking, standing the 6 feet apart of course, and then went about our business.

Have you had any experiences that have given you hope? Has anyone unexpectedly reached out to you? Have you been able to give hope to others? If so, how? What things have given you hope that there is still good in this world even when we are all facing challenges?

There is a quote that is written over one of the corridors in one of my schools that reads, “Be the Change You Want to See in this World.”  Words to live by 🙂

Dagmar replied 4 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dagmar

March 21, 2020 at 1:17 pm

I have a good friend who lives only one block away from me, and weekly, we usually get-together or see each other at group events. With the city-wide lock-down in place we felt the gap of not seeing each other… so, last Tuesday we tried out Skype. To “see” each other and share chit-chat. After out 1/2 hour visit, we agreed that seeing each other’s smile, even on a screen, really helped diffuse our feelings of isolation. We’ve since agreed to meet-up online once a week.

Skype is free. So is Facebook video chat and I know there are many other options to use. Try it. Call up a friend or family member, just to chat normally. Both of you will feel good. We can social-distance…but still be social 🙂

• Dagmar

March 23, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Amanda – – That is so kind of you, to be checking on your neighbors! Especially the one who is a “loner.”

Even with social distancing, we can connect through smiles and waving from afar. We all pick up on other’s body language: they’re tense, we get tense; they look relaxed, we relax.

Have any of our forum members experienced having someone check up on them – – that they didn’t think would? Please tell us and share it here 🙂