ALS News Today Forums Forums ALS Progress ALS News compound-found-in-blackberries-prolongs-lifespan-reduces-disease-severity-in-als

• Walter

August 17, 2020 at 3:12 pm

I bought some pure blackberry juice a month or so ago. I didn’t think it would do any harm.  I don’t take it everyday. I noticed it seemed to help with bowel movements when I was slightly constipated so I take about half a cup every so often then. I have a feeding tube. When I first added it to my feeding tube it formed a gel like substance when it mixed with my feeding tube formula food and clogged my tube. Since then I put it in after I flush the tube with water and it goes in the tube without a problem. Do you think this is something that doctors might recommend we take?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 17, 2020 at 4:52 pm

The article is not ‘new’ news since this has been recognized for years.  Flavanols and polyphenols are chemicals found in many fruits, vegetables, berries and cacao.  I have been taking a berry supplement for years and eat blueberries a few times a week. I also eat 100% cacao that is not alkalized (that is not ‘Dutched’).  The chemicals involved are beneficial.

• Walter

August 17, 2020 at 6:56 pm

Thank you Walter. It is good to know that it is beneficial. I will continue to use it then.

• Danielle Uskovic

August 18, 2020 at 4:50 pm

I read this article when it came out and I have also included berries in my diet.

I can’t say if it’s making a difference yet but I am a big believer in eating as much fresh and organic produce as possible.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 18, 2020 at 5:33 pm

I cannot and do not give advice when I post.  For me, I think these are beneficial and probably don’t harm me.  For other people I cannot say.  I have read numerous articles from reputable sources that indicate they are good and that is why I use them.  One needs to decide for oneself, since I may not have problems or an allergic reaction to something, but you might.  In any case, they won’t reverse ALS but they may slow it or delay dementia.

• Chad Smith

August 21, 2020 at 12:02 am

After I first read this article a few months ago, I started eating about 3/4 of a cup of fresh black berries every day.  I am new to ALS (5 months diagnosis; 9 months symptom onset) so I don’t know if it is working on slowing my progression rate down or not.  My neurologist told me he did not give the article much weight because studies done on mice do not always correlate very well to humans.  I still continue to eat the black berries every day though.  I figure they are a healthy food and will at least help clean up my diet.  I have nothing to lose and everything to gain when it comes to dealing with ALS.