• Dusky arms and legs

Posted by bambi-feaster on July 28, 2019 at 8:04 am

My PALS, age 40, (my son in law), was diagnosed with bulbar ALS in February 2018.  He has a PEG and had a trach put in in May 2019.  He has no use of his arms and his legs are getting weaker.  He is in bed 99% of the time.

I’ve noticed over the last couple of weeks that his arms/hands are very dusky.  When I noticed yesterday, they were very dark. I’m concerned about the circulation. He gets massages, his arms and legs are manipulated daily.  He is losing large swaths of skin from his feet.  But I’m really concerned about the arms.  He has lost most of his muscle mass in his shoulders and complains often of them being painful.  I’m worried though about the arms and hands not being oxygenated enough even though he’s on a vent.  Has anyone seen this? Have a solution? Recommendation?

Dagmar replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Dagmar

July 28, 2019 at 11:22 am

Bambi – – this is a medical issue… and the best advice is for you to contact your pALS’s physician as soon as possible to discuss your concerns.

Your bio shares that your pALS is currently in the ICU…so, please consult with the medical staff assigned to his care. We all understand and can empathize with your concern about a loved one – – but for issues such as this one, it is best to rely on his medical team.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your pALS.